SuiteCRM trademark guidelines
With these Guidelines, we wish to encourage widespread use of the SuiteCRM trademarks by the SuiteCRM community while managing that use to protect the distinctive value of the trademarks and avoid confusion on the part of SuiteCRM users and the general public. The sections that follow describe the SuiteCRM Marks covered by these Guidelines, as well as uses of these Marks that are allowed, uses that are not allowed, and uses that are only allowed with specific permission. See “Contact Information” below to request permission.
The SuiteCRM Marks
SuiteCRM and the SuiteCRM logo is a registered trademark of SalesAgility Ltd. These guidelines cover the following marks pertaining both to the product name and the logo. This set of marks is collectively referred to as the “SuiteCRM Marks.”
It is fundamentally important to us that any permitted use you make of the SuiteCRM Marks be of the highest quality and integrity and meet the highest standards. To ensure this is the case, we reserve the right to revoke your permission at any time.
We acknowledge and support your right to make “fair use” of the SuiteCRM Marks, and do not mean to suggest with these Guidelines that our permission is required in such cases. As a general rule fair use would be: used no more than necessary for the legitimate purpose, in a non-disparaging way, not causing confusion, and without indication of sponsorship or endorsement.
Applying our Logo
For copies of the SuiteCRM logo itself, please refer to the press page. Do not alter the logo in any way or overlap it with additional logos or images.
Correct SuiteCRM spelling
When referring to SuiteCRM make sure that it is spelled correctly: SuiteCRM (capital S at the beginning, capital CRM at the end, and all together – no spaces).
Contributing to SuiteCRM
We encourage everybody to contribute to SuiteCRM and become part of the SuiteCRM community.
If your contributions require trademark usage which is not permitted by these guidelines, please don’t hesitate to contact us (see “Contact Information” below).
Use Cases for the SuiteCRM Marks
Redistributing SuiteCRM Without Modifications
You may use the SuiteCRM Marks to identify your redistribution of SuiteCRM with no modifications, meaning you are redistributing an official distribution from SuiteCRM that has not been changed in any way. Modifications to SuiteCRM here are defined as those which would require you to make the complete source code available to download to all users, with the download link prominently displayed, in compliance with the AGPLv3 licence. Customisation and installing add-ons are not considered modifications to SuiteCRM.
You can provide a configured SuiteCRM installation to your users as long as those can see a copyright and download notice, ideally with a link to suitecrm.com. We do recommend though to link to the download page on suitecrm.com, to ensure that your users can find the latest SuiteCRM release.
Distributing SuiteCRM With Modifications
You may distribute SuiteCRM with modifications, but take in mind that this requires you to make the complete source code available to download to all users, with the download link prominently displayed, in compliance with the AGPLv3 licence.
In such a distribution, the “© Supercharged by SuiteCRM” and “© Powered By SugarCRM” must be displayed on every page of the application.
You generally will not need to remove or modify package headers, notes, README files, Changelogs, or other files containing uses of the SuiteCRM Marks that merely describe SuiteCRM, as long as such uses do not imply that you are formally affiliated with SuiteCRM.
Linking to suitecrm.com
We are pleased to permit you to link to suitecrm.com from your web site. On our press page we have several logo graphics for you to choose from, or you can use a text link. To link to us, with logos or a text link, you must agree that:
- The logos will be used only on the Internet, only as a link to suitecrm.com, and not as a favicon;
- You will not imply or state an endorsement by SuiteCRM or otherwise misrepresent your relationship with SuiteCRM;
- You will not disparage SuiteCRM using the logos;
- Your use of the logos or linked text will not be deceptive or false in any regard;
- You will not create a browser or border environment around SuiteCRM content;
- You may link to SuiteCRM content, and will only replicate SuiteCRM content after obtaining permission (see “Contact Information” below to request permission);
- Your web site will not contain content that could be construed as distasteful, offensive, or controversial, and will contain only content that is appropriate for all age groups; and
This permission may be rescinded at any time, in which case you will immediately remove the logos or text links from your web site.
You are welcome to make use of the SuiteCRM Marks to produce merchandise such as t-shirts, hats, bags, jackets, sweatshirts, mugs, and desktop wallpapers and give them to your friends, family, community members, provided there is no commercial interest behind it. You have to request permission if you want to commercially distribute articles using the SuiteCRM Marks (see “Contact Information” below to request permission).
If you want to include all or part of a SuiteCRM Mark in a domain name, you should seek our permission (see “Contact Information” below to request permission). People naturally associate domain names with organizations whose names sound similar. Almost any use of a SuiteCRM Mark in a domain name is likely to confuse someone, thus running afoul of the overarching requirement that any use of a SuiteCRM Mark not be confusing.
It is not allowed to use dashes or other special characters in the SuiteCRM name to try to bypass the trademark.
By “domain name” we mean to refer to top level domains and second-level domains, but not sub-domains.
We welcome the use of the SuiteCRM Marks in connection with user groups and other SuiteCRM advocacy groups, but you may only do so in accordance with the following requirements:
- Your use is not commercial in nature;
- In using a SuiteCRM Mark, you are in fact referring to the thing that the SuiteCRM Mark represents;
- There is no suggestion (through words or appearance) that your group is approved by, sponsored by, or affiliated with SuiteCRM (or its related projects) unless it actually has been so approved, sponsored, or affiliated;
- You do not incorporate other proprietary or commercial names in your group name; and
- You do not claim any trademark rights in the name, attempt to register the name with a trademark office or as a trade name, business name, or domain name, or conduct any business under the name.
It is permissible to use the SuiteCRM Marks to promote free and open source software events where individuals in SuiteCRM appear as ambassadors, distribute SuiteCRM media, or otherwise represent the Project, provided:
- You do not misrepresent your relationship with SuiteCRM;
- You do not disparage SuiteCRM using the SuiteCRM Marks; and
- Your use of the SuiteCRM Marks is not deceptive or false in any regard.
Individuals can be SuiteCRM members, members of the wider SuiteCRM community, or SuiteCRM users.
If you want to include all or part of a SuiteCRM Mark in the name of a publication such as a book or magazine, you need our permission (see “Contact Information” below to request permission). But you can use the SuiteCRM Mark in e.g. a title of review inside a magazine.
Product and Service Names, and Compatibility References
You should not include a SuiteCRM Mark in the name of your product or service, regardless of whether it’s commercial or non-commercial in nature. This includes online services, such as e-commerce, community, blog, informational, promotional, and personal home page sites.
With that said, we consider it permissible to use a SuiteCRM Mark in a file, folder, directory, or path name.
We also recognize that the SuiteCRM Community needs some way to identify projects, products, and services that are compatible with SuiteCRM. Our concern is that users not be confused as to whether a compatible project, product, or service is official or not. To address that concern, we request that you indicate compatibility with SuiteCRM using one of the following tag-lines (or its equivalent):
- “Works with SuiteCRM”;
- “Uses SuiteCRM”;
- “Compatible with SuiteCRM”;
- “Powered by SuiteCRM”;
- “Runs on SuiteCRM”;
- “For use with SuiteCRM”; or
- “For SuiteCRM”.
Advertising and Marketing Materials, including Business Cards
You may use the SuiteCRM Marks in describing and advertising your SuiteCRM-related product or service, or on business cards to identify your affiliation with SuiteCRM Project, so long as:
- You do not imply or state an endorsement by SuiteCRM or otherwise misrepresent your relationship with SuiteCRM;
- You do not disparage SuiteCRM using the SuiteCRM Marks;
- Your use of the SuiteCRM Marks is not deceptive or false in any regard;
- Your description, advertising, or other use does not contain content that could be construed as distasteful, offensive, or controversial, and does contain only content that is appropriate for all age groups; and
- Your use of the SuiteCRM Marks does not include or imply any commitment by SuiteCRM to provide support, service, indemnification, or updates.
You should not include a SuiteCRM Mark in the name of your company or business. Trying to avoid this by using special characters (such as a dash: suite-crm) is not allowed.
We welcome comment and constructive criticism, and we try to have a good sense of humor. It’s fine to use the SuiteCRM Marks in your discussion, commentary, criticism, or parody, in ways that unequivocally do not imply endorsement. Please do not create mock or parody products with names based on the SuiteCRM Marks. Also, please be aware that, in our opinion, it is not “fair use” to use the SuiteCRM Marks in a manner that disparages SuiteCRM technology or SuiteCRM.
All Other Uses
All other uses of the SuiteCRM Marks need to be reserved by us, but we are available to discuss terms for use.
Please contact us if you need assistance regarding these Guidelines, e.g. for discussing your case or requesting permission, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
License for these Guidelines
These Guidelines are published under Version 3 of the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License, and are derived in part from the openSUSE Trademark Guidelines (April 20, 2015), which in turn is derived in part from the OpenSolaris Trademark Policy 1.0 (May 5, 2008), the Ubuntu and Mozilla Trademark guidelines.