Move or Copy SuiteCRM Instance

Hi there guys

I did do a search through the forum and cant see if there are any instructions.

I recently moved hosting providers and now all I want to do is move my current suitecrm instance from one host to another.

I copied the installation folder accross, but that obviously was going to be far to simple if that worked.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Somi

Hi,

You could get copying the folder to work, but wont be ideal if you are using a different setup, such as a different Database.
You could possibly get it to work as long as you update the relevant Details in your Config.php. These details would be things like the db_config array.

Another way to do this would be to go into Admin > Backups. Here you can take a backup of the SuiteCRM Instance. It will download as a .zip file.
Keep in mind that it does not take a copy of your database, just the SuiteCRM application files.
You can then simply extract the zip file on your new host and you should be able to simply use the CRM, but you may need to update your Config.php file.

And finally, you can go to Admin > Studio and click “Export Customizations”. Here, you can select all modules you wish to keep your customizations for, and export them into a .zip file. After you install your new CRM on your new host, simply upload this .zip file into the Module Loader, found at Admin > Module
Loader.

After any of these, make sure to do a Quick Repair & Rebuild and ensure that your permissions are set correctly.

No just copying the installation folder will not work. But luckily it is pretty simple…

1.The first thing you want to do is get a dump of your SuiteCRM database.
2. Then import this into a database on your new hosting provider.
3. Make a backup of your entire Suite installation folder (create a tar.gz or zip file of it ). Also make sure you dont copy non-suite files over.
4. Extract this into your hosting providers www folder or wherever your new host tells you.
5. Once you have extracted the files to your installation directory edit the config.php file and give it the new database credentials
e.g.
‘dbconfig’ =>
array (
‘db_host_name’ => ‘localhost’,
‘db_host_instance’ => ‘’,
‘db_user_name’ => ’ ',
‘db_password’ => ’ ‘,
‘db_name’ => ‘production…y’,
‘db_type’ => ’ l’,

You probably want to give it your new url as well: ‘site_url’ => ‘https://’,

1. You should now be able to login to Suite, So login and go to the admin panel then Repair then do a Quick Repair and rebuild, twice.

2. You should now be good to but you could have file permission issues etc if thats the case set permissions on your server as follows:

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data .

sudo chmod -R 755 .

sudo chmod -R 775 cache custom modules themes data upload config_override.php

Assuming you are on a Linux server.

1 Like

Hi there Andy

You are correct,
I finally managed to get it working using your guidlines :slight_smile:

Thanks alot :slight_smile:

Somi

Ive done everythign expect number 7.
Everything is working perfectly except invoices.
If I hit save, it takes me back to my home screen and when going back to the invoice it hasnt saved anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help so far

Somi

Another update.
I have doen steps 7, hasnt changed.
Invoices anbd Quotes dont work, seems its the AOS modules that cant save data and apon saving redirects me to the home screen.

Not happening in default sugar modules.

Not sure why this is happening

Somi

did you do a quick repair a rebuild after changing the file permissions? Do a repair relationships also.

Yes, I did.
I managed to solve it.

It appears that I was triggering a Mod Security rule (350147).
This Mod Security rule was whitelisted and solved my problems.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Regards

Somi

Hi there
Sorry to open an old thread, but about to do this again.
However this time, I would like to migrate the instance, but start with a fresh database.

What would the recommended approach be?

Thanks in advance

Somi

Start a fresh instance with same code and customization and fresh database?

If yes, just open “installer_lock” at config.php and call /install.php URL after your CRM.

Above will let you fresh install with new database.