Import Security Groups

Hi,

can someone please show the easiest way to import Security Groups? (Without plugins)

Thank you

I don’t think the UI allows for that. I don’t know the reason, but I assume it’s a good one (applying the “Chesterton’s fence” principle :slight_smile: )

I would certainly try doing it from the database. It shouldn’t be too complicated to just import group names.

If you need to actually establish relationships and assign records to the groups, then it gets more complicated (though still possible, of course). In this case I would also consider writing a simple PHP importer that would write the data using Beans.

1 Like

Thank you for your response,

First of all I had to google “Chesterton’s fence” principle :smiley:

Secondly I am sorry for my poor explanation. I would like to be more specific about the situation if I may.

In CRM I have changed Security Settings and Roles. The last step for me is to create a new Security Group for every Account (round 320). There is just one basic Role. This role should be in every of those SGs which is not a problem. Problem fro me is to create the 320 SGs.
My plan was to export Accounts in CSV and then import them back as Security Groups.

As you mentioned about importing Group names from database, this would help for sure if it means to import CSV with new Security Group names to CRM. (So i dont have to create them one by one in CRM)

If it is possible, the ideal scenario would be possibilty to import CSV like I mentioned above + importing Assign User (SGs to records I can assign manualy)

I hope I did explain it right -_-

Many thanks

So without creating relationships with records. (It should be easier I think)

Hhmm this doesn’t sound right to me. Why do you need to do that?

I think we should reconsider your Scurity Groups design before attempting to implement it in the database - it might not be necessary to do all this, and if it’s not necessary, it’s probably counter-productive :slight_smile:

It is because we need to give access to the Users according to Account. Example: To the Account ABC is assigned John, but there are people working with abc and they need access to this Account. (These relationships with customer are based on longterm relation) So I will create the SG ABC with role and put them in there. And because is “Inherit from Parent Record” on, every record they will create will inherit SG ABC, so no one else has access to it.

I would probably try this by having a group for each user, not for each account.

How many users will you have? Will all of them be requiring this sort of special access, or can you group them in some way?

I cant do that. There is 100 Users and each one of them need access just to the certain Account/s (including records in Acc. such as Contacts, Opp., …) decided by Account Manager (Assigned Account User). Not special role for each User (most of them have just one Employees). With your idea I would have to add every record one by one to every legitimate User. I would lose my mind.

I have tested my idea and It works. I just needed that import.
Now already got it, i mean also import (SGs with Assigned User, not with records but enough for now :slight_smile: )
So now I “just” need to sort and put records into SGs (I can filter them at least) :confused: and then select Users for each SG.

Ok, I understand.

I’m glad you got it working. :slight_smile:

Thank you too :slight_smile: