A couple of questions!

Hi, a few questions if somebody would be as kind. I had a SugarCRM install that I upgraded in the spring of this year that I used for one project. I now want to use it for many.

Question 1 - When I’m going to different options in Suite CRM I get “Undefined” as the cog turns but it doesn’t appear to be causing any further issues - how do I fix this please?

Question 2 - There was a team extension years ago that was unofficially released with SugarCRM - I can’t see any functionality for teams in SuiteCRM - I would really love to see an area for the “team” (in my case, project volunteers). I also can’t see any ability to segregate data between projects. This means that everything gets rather messy!

Question 3 - How can I lock down content to “departments”. I haven’t seen much by way of viewing restrictions.

Question 4 - Mail integration - Is it possible to view Email inboxes from within SuiteCRM and also how do I go about linking Emails to cases/other items.

Thanks and Kind Regards,

indieben.

Hello,

1. Reason can be either incorrect permission or ownership of the files. or wrong base path in your .htaccess.
  2. In SuiteCRM, You will have Security Suite to use as a team.
  3. If you want to have a different view for a specific group of user. You may need to purchase Security Suite Pro version.
  4. Mail integration is almost the same as it was in SugarCRM.

You can find more from the documentation here.
Administrator guide - https://docs.suitecrm.com/admin/
User guide - https://docs.suitecrm.com/user/

2 Likes

Thanks ever so much for this.

The following image is the group/security structure i’m looking to set up. What i’ve noticed is many of the Youtube videos only provide initial information and then present the problem that needs to be resolved through the use and configuration of Security Groups whilst most forum answers answer questions by pointing people to the paid extension under the guise of further information to answer the user’s questions without making this immediately obvious.

I’m setting up my IT for a business plan I have not yet got off the ground. I simply cannot afford the paid extension so I am left with no choice but to source free options. I’m lucky that I can choose to move away from SuiteCRM if necessary but I do rather like it!

Is the structure in my image possible within the available standard tools?

One thing I have noticed is that, time and again, tutorials also say that you should start with the level of user who has the most restrictions and work back up - this is very restrictive and not particularly scaleable. Is it possible to work without this? You will notice that I will want to add in further roles at different security levels as time goes on and my business plan structure becomes clearer.

All I can say is that this scheme is really powerful, even without the payed extension. So just try it with the free version, and see if you can get it working.

Also, due to the complexity of this, I believe few people on this planet are able to approach this in the abstract, and plan everything out. It’s better if you set up a test system, start playing with it, and move in iterations. Get things working one by one, understand the implications of each change, etc.

Have you seen this part of the Docs?

https://docs.suitecrm.com/user/security-suite-groups/#_a_typical_hierarchy_setup

That’s what I always use to get started in hierarchical setups.

1 Like

Thanks, yes I have but I can’t translate it to my setup :frowning:

3-tier security is powerful, expressive, but also complex and sometimes not very intuitive.

I recommend that you start by getting the “typical” example working, exactly as it is in the tutorial, then play with it, change only one thing to approximate your model, then the next, etc.

Move in iterations. This helps you learn your way as you move along.