V8 API more bugs for for basic usage.

The API seems to have very minimal value as it can’t even perform basic query operations.

Here’s another bug i discovered today

https://github.com/salesagility/SuiteCRM/issues/5748

I realize on the responses we have this block

"suiteapi": {
            "major": 8,
            "minor": 0,
            "patch": 0,
            "stability": "ALPHA"
        }

Does this mean we should not be using this at all right now?

If that is the recommendation the docs
https://docs.suitecrm.com/developer/api/version-8/json-api/
should probably have a huge notice saying something like currently in ALPHA, Do NOT USE.

It would be great if the current maintainers could maybe comment on the state of this API and a rough roadmap/timeline. for just some basic functionality even.

Hey, calm down there. The API is ready, and it’s documented, and it’s being actively maintained whenever some bug pops up. It’s natural that things need to get fixed when you have a lot of new code, and in an app like SuiteCRM which is absolutely impossible to test in all the diversity of situations where it gets used in real life.

So the Community helps by reporting Issues. That’s you. :slight_smile:

You just reported the Issue on GitHub 3 hours ago, don’t assume it’s completely broken, or broken for everyone, just because it’s broken for you. I’m sure the issue will be fixed quickly, and you will be happy.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
You are right to call me out, the tone of my message was harsher then it should have been or than i meant it.
I typed it after running into the aforementioned bug which was causing me much frustration along with the other issues i’ve run into.
I apologize.

When you say

I have to respectfully disagree because I’ve found 3 instances where the API doesn’t work as advertised in very basic cases.

• pagination
  • multiple filters
  • “in” operator

If the API is meant to not be in use, I can respect that. And I would provide as feedback that this needs to be made clearer in the documentation.

If the claim is that the API is ready, I think these basic use case issues need to receive higher priority attention.
It’s hard to claim an API is ready for use when you can’t paginate, can’t query by more than one filter and a basic operator like “in” doesn’t work.

I realize this is a open source project. Is there some kind of guideline for how the API bugs are getting “actively maintained”.
I ask because the two bugs I logged over 2 weeks ago haven’t been assigned.

I’m in a position right now where my team makes a decision on whether we are going to consume this API or hack what we need to do by going straight to the database.

Is it possible that these issues (and other potential ones that get uncovered) may get attention in the very near future?

Thank you.

Hi,

I’ve been checking the work on the API and I can tell you there won’t be much progress on the next release. The reason for this is that we do have a developer working on it, but he’s refactoring a few things and will only be taking up these bugs after he finishes that. So I can promise progress, but I can’t commit to a schedule at this moment.

Remember this is a Community and we really appreciate getting some bugfixes from the Community! :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like