Issues sending mail using SMTP

Hello everyone.
I have some problems sending messages through smtp connection.

I’ve Installed suitecrm-7.0.2
I need use SMTP connection with a remote mail server to send messages to user (for mailing password etc…).
I set all parameters in Administrator=>Admin=>Emailing Settings
And when I press button “Send test E-mail” I get the following Error:

"
Error:The following From address failed: vovan-sh13@yandex.ru
SMTP server error: 5.5.4 Error: send AUTH command first.
"

I tried to use smtp.yandex.ru and smtp.gmail.com
I tried using SSL/TLS
I’ve configure my MS-Outlook to make sure that everything’s ok (and everything was ok) and used the same setting for configuring SuiteCRM SMTP connection

but I still can’t solve this issue.

Please HELP.

Hi,

You can try turning your error logging up to DEBUG and sending the test message from the email configuration page. Then check the sugarcrm.log file. Look carefully as the program code sending mail ignores some server errors and continues on. The error message being displayed by the GUI may not indicate the root cause of your problem.

There are some useful hints on the sugar forum here.

You can also try sending and email from a telnet session on the web server as described here and here. If you cannot send successfully using telnet, you will not be able to do it from SuiteCRM because it uses effectively the same commands.

Cheers

Bruce

Hi!

I tried sending an email from a telnet session and it succeeded.
Then I configured smtp-connection using gmail.

After that SuiteCRM became able to send the links for the passwords changing and other
stuff but the test message sending option still doesn’t work.

Here’s the ERR from the logFile:

Wed Mar 5 12:00:03 2014 [1421][1][FATAL] SugarPHPMailer encountered an error: The following From address failed: vsh1313@gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 15:20:09 2014 [1425][1][FATAL] SMTP -> ERROR:Password not accepted from server. Code: 535 Reply: 535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
535 5.7.8 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=14257 jl8sm2257127lbc.16 - gsmtp

I know for sure that the credentials used for the SMTP session are correct because I get real messages from the CRM on my e-mails, but I’m really confused with the error.
I guess that smth isn’t configured properly and that might cause problems in future…

How could I solve this issue?
There might be some more hints…

Hi,

I can reproduce this error exactly and I am connected to a completely different SMTP server (Microsoft Exchange on line).
I can also confirm that the user emails for passwords etc are going out. I have not tried sending an email from a workflow but will soon.

I will keep you posted as I progress.

Cheers

Bruce

Workflow emails are working correctly.

Cannot “compose” and send an email from “My Emails” but that is to be expected because my CRM email address is not (yet) allowed to send as other email addresses.