No Preview option in PDF Templates

Hi,

There is no preview option in the detail view of the PDF Templates module. How do I generate the PDFs and preview them, I have created a PDF template but I see no option to view the preview or download the template as PDF. Iā€™ve googled with this issue but with no success.

Iā€™ve included a snapshot of it.

Hi sid,

This is not standard functionality but sounds like a nice feature. Please place it in the suggestion box if you get time!

Thanks,

Will.

I dont see the point in previewing, just generate a PDF in a dummy quote or invoice and you will see what it looks like.

Thanks Will, Andy

I need to generate PDF out of a custom module. How do I go about doing that? Iā€™ve looked at http://support.sugarcrm.com/02_Documentation/04_Sugar_Developer/Sugar_Developer_Guide_6.5/02_Application_Framework/SugarPDF/01_Generating_PDFs/ but not sure how to make it work. Please guide.

Thanks.

That is a completely different question than you asked originally ;).

The answer is you dont, not unless you custom code it yourself.

The PDF templates only work with Quotes, Invoices, Accounts, Leads and Contacts as standard functionality.

To generate a pdf from a custom module requries quite a bit of work.

Also that link you posted is to the sugar PDF template generation the one in SuiteCRM is different as sugarā€™s pdf generator was not included in CE.

Oh !! I have a demo on 2nd. Can you give me a lead on how and where can I start?

The basic steps you will have to carry out:

Create a custom a copy of generatePdf.php here:

custom/modules/AOS_PDF_Templates/generatePdf.php

Rename the copy MyCustomPdf.php

Then create a custom button on your custom module that calls the functions in your custom copy of MyCustomPdf.php.
(this will involve creating a custom controller and adding a custom action that includes MyCustomPdf.php)

edit MyCustomPdf.php to work with the fields in your custom module.

Create custom/modules/AOS_PDF_Templates/views/view.edit.php

edit the view.edit.php to include fields from your custom module so that they can be added to a pdf template.

Create a new pdf template for your module

Phew !! :slight_smile:

Thanks Andy will try it right away!!

And please post a guide with as much info as you can for future reference :smiley:

Thanks for lead Andy. Apologies for the late reply. The deadline got extended so got some time to explore. :wink:

I did it using the default ā€œGenerate Letterā€ option in the detail view of Accounts. First had to create the template and then included the ā€œGenerate Letterā€ option in my custom module and it generated the PDF for me. The only hitch though is I have several user entered line items in a particular subpanel. How do I include that in the PDF Template.

You will have to edit or create a new version of FormLetterPDF.php and alter the code in their to include the line items. Look at how its done in quotes and invoices and as I described above.

SpudR,
Hereā€™s a detailed guide to how to generate a PDF out of a custom module for future reference :wink:

1. Add your Custom Module in the Type dropdown of PDF Template. This will help you select your custom module for creating a sample. You do this by editing the ā€œ'pdf_template_type_domā€ through the dropdown editor from the admin panel. The ā€œitem nameā€ must be the name of the module directory.
  2. Add the default ā€œGenerate Letterā€ link in the actions dropdown in the detail view page of the custom module. To do this, you have to first edit the /custom/modules/Custom_Module/metadata/detailviewdefs.php file of the custom module and include

ā€˜AOS_GENLETā€™ =>
array (
ā€˜customCodeā€™ => ā€˜ā€™,
),

in the buttons array.

1. Next on, add the generate letter functionality. To do this, edit the view.detail.php file in custom/module//Custom_Module/views directory. If there is no such file or directory create it. You can look at http://archive.h2ik.co/2012/03/sugarcrm-upgrade-safe-way-to-extend-views/ to how to create the file. Now add the following piece of code in the display() method,

require_once(ā€˜modules/AOS_PDF_Templates/formLetter.phpā€™);
formLetter::DVPopupHtml(ā€˜Custom_Moduleā€™);

And Voila !! This generates a PDF from a custom module in a custom designed template.
Hope this helps !!

Andy,
Will look into it.

Will,
I got what Andy was trying to say in #5725 as there is no point in providing a preview option in PDF Templates as ultimately youā€™ll have to select the record against which you need a PDF. So I guess itā€™s one and the same thing to go to the record and generate a PDF rather than have it generated from PDF Template. So didnā€™t include it in the Suggestion Box :slight_smile: .

Hi Andy,

I made some changes in the formLetterPdf.php file and have attached the zip file. Please check if itā€™s the correct method to proceed. Itā€™s more of a workaround but as of now donā€™t have much time so have to go with it. Thereā€™s just a minor issue.

Whenever I output the $template->description, it shows me the template text with the html tags, but when I pass the $addTable variable it doesnā€™t output the tags and displays the table directly. Also if I remove the ā€œStrip out html tagsā€ in $search will it cause any abnormal behavior in the PDF output.

Hi,

Iā€™m going forward with the customization Iā€™ve done as attached in the post above.

But there seems to be a bug when the Generate Letter option is selected from the Custom Module. It doesnā€™t seem to take the Security Suite permissions, because if I do not assign a PDF Template to a particular user who has only owner rights, it still shows up on clicking the Generate Letter option.

I think you will have to write the code yourself that checks for security Suite permissions, its not hard but I cant remember exaclty how its done off hand.

No problem. Iā€™ll give it a try. Also I would really appreciate if you could take some time out and check the zip file I attached a couple of posts earlier to check if itā€™s the correct flow Iā€™ve created or if I need to change it.

it looks ok on first glance but Id really need to try and run it to fully understand whats going on and then advise you but I dont have time for that today.

1 Like

Okay no problem :slight_smile: