Employees categorization

Hello all,

I have been using Suite CRM just for a day so I am not quite familiarized with it yet.
As I have been tasked to add all employees of my company, I am trying to be able to categorize/distinguish between them depending on whether someone is a developer or a tester. I suppose this has nothing to do with Roles and Groups, as from my understanding those are related to security issues and not to simply being able to navigate through my resources.
Simply put, I want to find out if for example, I am able to mark Sally as part of my 4-people team of developers and when she is already assigned to a task, I want to see that i still have 75% of my developers resources available.

If this is helpful, we are using version 7.11.8, Sugar Version 6.5.25 (Build 344)

Thank you in advance!

Doksa

This can be as simple as using a text field (or a dropdown with a list of possible values) to distinguish them. Then these can be used in filters and reports.

Or you can group users in one of several ways. Maybe this will help:

https://pgorod.github.io/Concepts-Accounts-Contacts/

(I hope it’s not too much detail for you at this point)

Thank you for your help!
I started creating a dropdown menu value in order to be able to assign the value Tester or Developer to my users, but after saving my changes the suite crashed and I am not able to log back in.

Is it possible to take a look at the logs?
Let me know if there are other logs you need too!

Thank you very very much in advance!

Doksa

I removed your attachment since it contained most of your admin’s database password (it was the argument in a function that appeared in the stack trace of one of the errors). I recommend that you change that password now anyway, for safety. Also make sure you scan your logs for sensitive information before publishing them online.

Anyway, I don’t think the problem has anything to do with the dropdown, it has to be because of some database changes. Either the password has changed and needs to be updated in config.php, or that german collation isn’t working.

I think the recommended collation for te SuiteCRM database is always utf8_general_ci, though you can try searching these forums for other posts from international users to make sure.

When you can login, I recommend upgrading to the latest version, it will fix some of the other errors I see in your logs. If you go for 7.11.10 I recommend you download the package that is on the site since today, we made a minor fix there since it was released a few days ago.

Thanks for your help once again!

Problem is, I really have no idea how to log in again as I always get the same error message (the one I attached). You mentioned something about changed password in the config.php file, to which password are you referring? And how can I check the collation settings? Sorry if the questions sound silly, I recently started working as a Project Manager and no one here can help me as no one has ever used Suitecrm here before.
Could you maybe help me with that??

The password mentioned by PGR is of the database. If you have cPanel access to your Hosting where suitecrm is installed, you can change the password for the DB user and then update that new password in the config.php file where the label says

'db_password' => 

If you check the file, suitecrm.log in the Root folder of crm installation, do you see any FATAL errors? Can you also check the permissions for cache and custom folders?

Thank you very much for your help!

Where do you mean I have to change the password for the DB user (before changing it in the config.php file)? In the DBManager.php file?

I am attaching screenshots of the access rights, it is in German though. (Vollzugriff= Full access, Lesen,Ausfuhren= Read, execute, Andern=modify. Hope this helps!)

The suitecrm has many FATAL errors and they seem to be related with the access rights of the users.

Thanks again for your help!

The DB password, as pointed out by PGR was exposed in the logs, but you don’t need to change that for now as the installation is a local one.

What are the most recent FATAL error lines in your suitecrm.log ?

Thanks again!

The lines that appear more often are:

[FATAL] User update error: Temp User is not retrieved at ID 1, boolean given
Fri Oct 11 13:25:59 2019 [6116][-none-][FATAL] Email address save error
Fri Oct 11 13:26:08 2019 [6116][1][FATAL] User update error: Temp User is not retrieved at ID seed_jim_id, boolean given
Fri Oct 11 13:26:08 2019 [6116][1][FATAL] Email address save error
Fri Oct 11 13:26:09 2019 [6116][1][FATAL] Email address save error
Fri Oct 11 13:30:00 2019 [6116][1][FATAL] log call at: modules/EmailMan/tpls/config.tpl:465 - styleChecked is not set
Fri Oct 11 13:30:21 2019 [6116][1][FATAL] SugarPHPMailer encountered an error: An outgoing mail server is not configured to send emails. Please configure an outgoing mail server or select an outgoing mail server for the mail account that you are using in Settings >> Mail Account.
Fri Oct 11 13:30:21 2019 [6116][1][FATAL] SugarPHPMailer encountered an error: SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting
Fri Oct 11 13:30:21 2019 [6116][1][FATAL] SugarPHPMailer encountered an error: SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting
Fri Oct 11 13:45:40 2019 [6116][1][FATAL] Email address save error
Fri Oct 11 13:46:46 2019 [6116][1][FATAL] Email address save error
Fri Oct 11 13:49:53 2019 [6116][6e7763f6-71c5-6cf7-9473-5da06bb0cf12][FATAL] Email address save error

Does anyone have any insight about this? ^^^

Can you login as an admin? And as a regular user?

If not, can you give me just the error message for the login problem (without any other messages), both what you see on screen and in the logs?

Thank you for your reply! I can log in (theoretically, right now no one can log in) as an admin as well as a user.
At the login screen I get “Database failure. Please refer to suitecrm.log for details”
And at the logs I get are:
Tue Nov 5 08:37:03 2019 [12512][-none-][FATAL] FAILED LOGIN:attempts[1], ip[172.16.31.210], username[doksa.adm]

and

Tue Nov 26 12:03:38 2019 [13260][-none-][FATAL] Retrieving record WHERE user_name = ‘doksa.admin’ AND deleted=0: Query Failed: SELECT users.,users_cstm. FROM users LEFT JOIN users_cstm ON users.id = users_cstm.id_c WHERE user_name = ‘doksa.admin’ AND deleted=0 LIMIT 0,1: MySQL error 1267: Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_german2_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation ‘=’

Focus on that “collations” error, that’s your problem. You solve it in phpMyAdmin or some other database admin tool.

just set the database collation to “utf8_general_ci”, that’s the standard, I think.

You might have to do it for individual tables, I am not sure. In another thread I saw this command:

ALTER TABLE users_cstm CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;