Estimated time for Project Tasks, Tasks and Cases

We’re adopting Agile into our business and will move over to the Point system at some stage when we move over to much bigger projects but for now, we mostly do service level agreements of support and maintenance to our existing client base.

Every Friday or every second Friday, depending on how busy we are and our looming deadlines, we will do our planning.

I want to be able to become more realistic about our resources and how much each person can take on and want to therefore create a report of the list of items each employee has either as a Project Task, a Task or a Case.

Project Tasks has got a nice “Estimated Effort (hrs):” and “Actual Effort (hrs):” which I have now also applied to Cases but in the case of Cases, I made this a decimal value entry because some tasks take less than 30 minutes.

I will do the same for Regular tasks: create “Estimated Effort (hrs):” and “Actual Effort (hrs):” and later, I want to be able to restrict the Estimate Effort so that it cannot be changed and when any of these tasks Statuses change, this will trigger a timer to measure how long something actually took my team.

What I want to be able to see is some form of report that I can pull on my dashboard of the amount of hours we have allotted for each team member and then to be able to refresh that graph every hour or so to see something like a burndown chart…or at least just the time left vs how many hours are still left in the week.

Is my approach correct? Or is there a better way someone else can think of?

Many thanks