From sandbox to dev

Hello

Can someone share advice (even high-level) as for moving from a sandbox environment to dev server?

For example if I build everything on the local machine, would I then export all the custom extensions + custom folder and simply import extensions and reupload the custom folder or it’s over simplified?

I’m thinking may be creating a manifest file with every single change and then redoing it on the production server (or it’s an overkill)?

The way that I handle moving changes from my local environment and my development and production environments is GIT. Once I am done making a change on my local machine, I merge that into the development branch and push that to Github. Then I log into my dev server and pull the changes from Github. I do the same for the production environment.

The only issue I have with this is I have to manually export and import the fields_meta_data table in the database from local to dev and production.

With this method, there is room for improvement like adding in continuous integration/deployment. But currently I am the sole developer where I am, so this process works good for me.

1 Like