Suite 7.10.7 Upgrade Issue - nothing in the middle of the screen is clickable

I’m trying to upgrade a sandbox of my production instance, which is running 7.8.3. I’ve tried both doing the upgrade in stages, and the 7.8.x-7.10.7 upgrade. In each instance the installation completes and loads correctly, but then the system is completely unusable because of what you see in the attached image. (click link, forum won’t let me attach a picture anymore)

The left side of the screen appears to list all modules and on the right side of the screen you see the + which when clicked creates a new record for that module. Since this is “overlaying” the screen - nothing below the top menu is clickable or usable. You can navigate from the top menu, but the “overlay” stays the same.

I’ve tried repair/rebuild (by copying the URL from my production system to get to it, since the admin menu isn’t clickable because of the “overlay”) I’ve deleted the cache folders and forced a rebuild, i’ve cleared my browser cache, and i think i’ve about exhausted my abilities in this matter.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this?

Running on windows 2008 R2, IIS, PHP 7.0.18. & MSSQL 2008 - not that it should make a difference

Please check your logs for errors, both

suitecrm.log
php_errors.log (or whatever is the equivalent of the PHP log on Windows, maybe it’s in Event Viewer)

Also, those messages on the right, are those errors? “setup is required” etc.? Can you tell me the exact text please? I can’t read it properly from the screenshot.

SuiteCRM log only shows a query error that appears unrelated (posted below this issue). No PHP log on Windows. Application log showing no errors.

What you’re seeing on the left side of the screen appear to be menu items (same items that appear in drop down menus). - See image (still can’t upload them to this forum)

if you hide the left toolbar you can get a better view of exactly what they are:

on the right side of the screen these are the ‘+’ signs to add a record to that module.

All of these items are clickable, and take you into that module or to create a record. Everything ‘behind’ them (aka the dashlets) are not clickable because of the overlay of these menu items.

If that still doesn’t make sense, I can give someone view access to our sandbox instance.

SuiteCRM log error for sandbox:

Mon Sep 3 23:59:26 2018 [13460][4079df2b-41d6-03d8-1896-515eb34b8b28][FATAL] Query Failed:SELECT
ea.email_address,
ea.email_address_caps,
ea.invalid_email,
ea.opt_out,
ea.confirm_opt_in,
ea.date_created,
ea.date_modified,
ear.id,
ear.email_address_id,
ear.bean_id,
ear.bean_module,
ear.primary_address,
ear.reply_to_address,
ear.deleted
FROM email_addresses ea LEFT JOIN email_addr_bean_rel ear ON ea.id = ear.email_address_id
WHERE
ear.bean_module = N’Users’
AND ear.bean_id = N’4079df2b-41d6-03d8-1896-515eb34b8b28’
AND ear.deleted = 0
ORDER BY ear.reply_to_address, ear.primary_address DESC::: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Invalid column name ‘confirm_opt_in’.

Please go in Admin / Repair, do a Quick Repair and Rebuild, and scroll down to the bottom. If there is a button to “sync vardefs”, click it.

If that doesn’t work please check upgradeWizard.log to see if anything went wrong during the upgrade.

You also didn’t tell me what you found in the Web server log (or Event viewer). You really need to know about this log. PHP errors that SuiteCRM doesn’t catch will appear there only.

As mentioned in my previous reply, there are no PHP errors in the windows application log.

The admin screen is also not clickable to do a repair of any module because of the menu overlay

I copied the url for quick repair/rebuild from my production instance (https://URL/index.php?module=Administration&action=repair) and was able to run quick repair, but again, can’t click on the “execute” button to sync with DB (which never works with MSSQL anyway). See Screen shot:

Perhaps this screen shot will better show you this “overlay”. I left mouse click and drag down to ‘select’ these items, so it shows the extent of the overlay better.

There is no UpgradeWizard.log in the SuiteCRM folder. I’ve done the upgrade twice (copying production files v7.83 and restoring production database to sandbox and then performing the upgrade) with no errors in the on-screen upgrade wizard and have the same result.

Ok, this looks like a javascript issue possibly and I suspect that either the rebuilding of cache is incorrect i.e. the upgrade is incomplete or that the permissions on the server are in correct.
Are you able to see the permissions of your cache folder? Are they different to your other i.e more restrictive or less?

You said that you deleted your cache and rebuild the cache folder. have you tried on a different browser all together? like instead of chrome using IE example?

Permissions are correct on the sandbox, and are the same as my production instance. I wrote the permissions doc for Windows & IIS installs on this forum - so pretty sure they’re correct. For reference the Cache Folder allows the IISUser, system, and network user Full write access.

I’ve tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari. This is not browser related. (IE is depreciated btw)

upgrade completed successfully per the on-screen wizard both times I did the upgrade (twice in the sandbox).

:thumbsup:

Ok, so potentially there are a few options here.

• instead of repair and rebuild use the other rebuild tools i.e.
    – Rebuild Minified JS Files
    – Rebuild JS Grouping Files

Do you get any console errors on the browser’s window? i.e. 404 not found etc?

• Compare the cache file for javascript against a fresh upgraded instance. Are there huge differences?
  • Potentially using a fresh instance once installed pull across that cache folder and see if that helps you progress to do a proper repair and rebuild.

Rebuild didn’t work. Again had to copy the URLs from production because the admin screen in my sandbox isn’t clickable.

No console errors

I don’t relish setting up a fresh install instead of the upgrade. Its a pretty big process to create another sandbox to install this from scratch. Even then, I’m not convinced this is a cache problem.

May I suggest a little trick that might help you workaround the screens that are broken. Browsers have the option to select from multiple Style sheets. You can use this to select no stylesheet at all. This usually is enough to make every link clickable, without any overlays.

In my Firefox it’s on menu View / Page style / No style.

This will allow you to try the other repairs, I hope.

1 Like

“Rebuild didn’t work.”
Do you mean the rebuild JS didn’t work or did you execute a ‘repair & rebuild’ again? The rebuild JS is a separate link module=Administration&action=RepairJSFile&type=mini
module=Administration&action=RepairJSFile&type=concat

Ok, going to ask obvious questions, but they may have an affect. Do you have anything custom in your instance that is either JS groups custom/include etc, or theme related?

That view change in Firefox allowed me to get directly to the menu and click the rebuild links - however rebuilding did not resolve.

• quick repair/rebuild
  • rebuild relationships
    -rebuild js files
    -rebuild minified JS files
    -Repair Roles
    -Repair Activities

The sync vardefs from quick repair/rebuild never work for mssql - but even fixing the query and running manually didn’t solve the screen problem. it does not appear any of this is the issue - . Its almost like when it upgraded modules views or the theme it duplicated menu items/create new record links. This appears to be programatic in the upgrade and not related to permissions, cache, rebuilding, etc…

Any other suggestions?

This is not enough to convince me :slight_smile:

My PHP error log (php_errors.log) always has content, small warnings etc. So if you’re not seeing anything, you don’t have logging turned on, or you’re not looking in the correct place (which is common on Windows since it seems each web server has it’s preference). I’m not sure (at all) that it should show in that particular section of Event viewer.

Read about PHP logging for your web server online, turn it on, and make sure you start seeing messages, so you know it’s operational. And then you can check messages during your broken screens or upgrade attempts.

Here you go - pretty useless information though

[10-Sep-2018 08:38:06 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Array to string conversion in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\Dashlets\DashletGenericChart.php on line 402
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:06 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Array to string conversion in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\Dashlets\DashletGenericChart.php on line 402
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:06 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: labelsAndValues in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\modules\Charts\Dashlets\OutcomeByMonthDashlet\OutcomeByMonthDashlet.php on line 123
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:06 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined property: OutcomeByMonthDashlet::$seedBean in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\Dashlets\Dashlet.php on line 246
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:06 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: Facebook in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\modules\SugarFeed\Dashlets\SugarFeedDashlet\SugarFeedDashlet.php on line 83
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:06 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: Twitter in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\modules\SugarFeed\Dashlets\SugarFeedDashlet\SugarFeedDashlet.php on line 83
H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Prod\modules\Users\authentication\LDAPAuthenticate\LDAPAuthenticateUser.php on line 52
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:06 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: OAUTH_CALLBACK in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 70
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:07 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: oauth_token in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\twitter\twitter_auth\twitteroauth\twitteroauth.php on line 80
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:07 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: oauth_token_secret in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\twitter\twitter_auth\twitteroauth\twitteroauth.php on line 80
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:07 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: oauth_token in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\twitter\twitter_helper.php on line 104
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:07 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: oauth_token_secret in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\twitter\twitter_helper.php on line 105
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:07 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: access_token in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 86
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:07 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: access_token in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 92
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:07 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: url in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 208
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:07 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: user_home in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 211
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:07 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: url in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 173
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:09 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Array to string conversion in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\Dashlets\DashletGenericChart.php on line 402
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:09 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Array to string conversion in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\Dashlets\DashletGenericChart.php on line 402
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:09 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: labelsAndValues in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\modules\Charts\Dashlets\OutcomeByMonthDashlet\OutcomeByMonthDashlet.php on line 123
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:09 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined property: OutcomeByMonthDashlet::$seedBean in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\Dashlets\Dashlet.php on line 246
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:09 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: Facebook in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\modules\SugarFeed\Dashlets\SugarFeedDashlet\SugarFeedDashlet.php on line 83
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:09 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: Twitter in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\modules\SugarFeed\Dashlets\SugarFeedDashlet\SugarFeedDashlet.php on line 83
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:10 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: OAUTH_CALLBACK in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 70
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:10 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: oauth_token in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\twitter\twitter_auth\twitteroauth\twitteroauth.php on line 80
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:10 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: oauth_token_secret in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\twitter\twitter_auth\twitteroauth\twitteroauth.php on line 80
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:10 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: oauth_token in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\twitter\twitter_helper.php on line 104
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:10 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: oauth_token_secret in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\twitter\twitter_helper.php on line 105
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:10 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: access_token in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 86
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:10 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: access_token in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 92
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:10 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: url in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 208
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:10 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: user_home in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 211
[10-Sep-2018 08:38:10 America/New_York] PHP Notice: Undefined index: url in H:\Websites\SuiteCRM_Upgrade\include\social\get_feed_data.php on line 173

Anyway, that’s progress. If you check the timestamps you can pay special attention to the errors appearing at the moment your upgrade fails, or when your screens break.

Can you try going in Admin/Connectors and disabling the Facebook and Twitter connectors, and see if that makes a difference?

URG!!! as previously stated many times I can’t click on the items in the admin menu. The errors aren’t relevant, and it doesn’t address the repeated menu overlay. Even if I wipe the sandbox instance (as I’ve already done once) and copy production over again to do the upgrade, the same thing happens - the overlay is on all the screens. I do not see how any of this helps me solve the problem with version 7.10.x

I’ve performed the upgrade from 7.8.x to 7.10.x again, same result. Attached is a screen shot after the commit step that again shows the overlay even before the final layout changes are accepted.

Screenshot:

Upgrade Wizard Log Upgrade Wizard Log

THERE WERE ABSOLUTELY NO PHP ERRORS IN THE LOG FOR THE UPGRADE

I’m going to attempt this one more time, but perform an incremental upgrade to 7.9, then 7.10 and see if it makes a difference.

As I didn’t see it in your list. Did you also rebuild the grouped JS files (that is pretty crucial). I also suggest you do it in the following order.

Rebuild Minified JS Files - module=Administration&action=RepairJSFile&type=mini
Rebuild JS Grouping Files - module=Administration&action=RepairJSFile&type=concat

You shouldn’t need to do any of the other repair JS.

I asked previously but I dunno if you had a chance to answer. Do you get console error logs on the browser? So if you Shift+Control+I (I think) and see if there are any ‘elements can’t be found etc’.

As I’ve said many many times - nothing in the screen is clickable. I’ve already wiped the sandbox and starting over doing an incremental upgrade from 7.8 to 7.9, then go to 7.10.

I’m also trying another theory at the moment. We were using SuiteR theme, I’ve disabled it prior to the upgrade to see if that had anything to do with it.

Yes I also rebuilt the JS files in the same order you suggested - that didn’t resolve the issue either.