Knowledge Base presentation strips formatting

Can anybody shed some light on why, when in edit mode, my article looks like this:

yet in presentation, it strips the fomatting and looks ugly, like this:

Is there a customization I can perform somewhere? This seems like a pretty major oversight.

One screen loads an external WYSIWYG editor, the other just shows the field as more or less plain text. I don’t think it’s an oversight, it’s likely a design option, to keep the big editor from having to load on a detail view, and because that editor would probably allow… editing. Which is not good in a detail view.

But I do recognize the user experience is not too good here. I suppose a customization is always possible in PHP… but I don’t know how to do it…

I looked at the underlying code presented to the browser. The HTML tags inserted by the WYSIWYG editor ARE present. I copied the entire element into test.html and read that in the same browser. The formatting is present and appropriate. So, if that’s the case, SuiteCRM must be doing something to defeat the tags’ interpretation by the browser at rendering.If the tags are allowed to be interpreted and rendered, I’d imagine that would solve the formatting issue. I’ll tinker and see what I can figure out. If someone’s got a quick fix to direct me to, more the better.

Ok. Good luck. Most of the work done stripping valuable content from HTML is for security reasons. We’re not supposed to let people put data into a field that will take control of your app and inject rogue code when you display it :slight_smile:

But there is room for improvement, so if you find a nice, safe solution, let us know.

Can you direct me to where this occurs for the KB either here or via the email attached to my forum account? That’ll get me pointed in the right direction at least.

RESOLVED

style.css added to ./custom/themes/SuiteP/css/[Each subtheme]

style.css is as follows:

/*
CUSTOM CSS FOR DETAIL VIEW LIST ITEMS
 */

#description ul li {
    display: list-item;
    list-style-position: inside;
    list-style-type: disc;
}

#description ol li {
    display: list-item;
    list-style-position: inside;
    list-style-type: decimal;
}
1 Like

Should this be fixed in the main product? Everybody will benefit from this, right?

Can you make a PR on GitHub to propose the change?

I’m also having this problem (don’t understand your solution)

Also it is very hard to write in this small text box, I would prefer a full screen or expendable . In order to get around this I use MS-Word and copy paste - however most formatting is still being striped away (even if saved as HTML)

Also I cant see a way to divide my KB articles by category/sub-category
Is there any way to attach attachments to a KB ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

should this fix effect all detail views? or does this somehow just apply to the knowledge base?

Have this same issue WYSIWYG plugin version 1.2 that occurs in SuiteCRM version 7.10.7 that prevents formatting applied through WYSIWYG plugin field to show up in Suite CRM Detail View?

Here is the entry using the WYSIWYG field in ​EDIT VIEW (Cases, Tasks, Project Tasks modules),

Here is how the formatting enetred using the WYSIWYG plugin in edit view shows up in DETAIL VIEW:

1 Like

I opened an Issue on GitHub for this, please track the evolution there

https://github.com/salesagility/SuiteCRM/issues/6200

Thanks for reporting.

2 Likes

That issue seems to be an evolutionary dead-end