Where is SMTP credentials stored?

Hello,

I want to turn the SMTP credentials static but I don’t know where I can find them?

Check your database (with phpMyAdmin, for example) and see table “outbound_email”.

The passwords there are hashes. If you need to create a hash just do it from the UI settings normally, and then grab it from the database and copy it to other rows if necessary.

1 Like

So that’s where they are. Thank you!

I just made everything static instead and changed the code to not fetch anymore from the database. For some reason, our SMTP credentials keep on getting changed thus the system have times where it can’t send any emails.

That sounds like a serious bug, we need to fix that.

Can you get a reproducible example of the credentials being changed when you do a certain action? Maybe now that you know the place in the database, it’s easier for you to see when it gets overwritten… thanks

It’s working on the latest version of Suite since we’re running another instance with the latest version. But on or other instance we’re using an old version Version 7.5.3 and whenever we try to update the SMTP credentials it gives out an error instead. I’ll try to post the error later.

1 Like

We’re currently rechecking this issue since some of our servers can’t send emails.

We’re using load balancer on 4 servers to run our CRM.

Steps:

When we input the SMTP credentials in the Email Settings and try “Send Test Email” the email will be sent but if we “Save” it and try again to “Send Test Email” without changing anything we get this error instead:

Error:SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

log file:

[FATAL] SugarPHPMailer encountered an error: SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

Our take on this is that the Credentials are being changed for some reason. Because if we re-input the credentials again the email is sent.

Sorry, this behavior you describe now is with the old 7.5.3 version, or with the new one? Which one, 7.10.2?

There were some bugs some time ago with SMTP credentials not properly stored, but they were fixed.

I can probably give you some debugging code for SMTP issues, but I need to know which version you’re running. Thanks

It’s with Version 7.5.3. We’re really at a lost here.

You can try applying these code changes to debug your SMTP issues:

https://suitecrm.com/suitecrm/forum/suitecrm-7-0-discussion/16507-mail-stopped-working-error-smtp-connect-failed#55682

Please note that I never looked at this code in version 7.5.2, so I can only hope this is similar and that you can put that into your files and make it work.

There are two directions of debugging this:

• outputting your configuration values onto the logs, just before you send, to make sure that what is going into SMTP is what you specified in the UI. This let’s you rule out any UI issues.

• outputting the actual SMTP server responses onto the logs (watch out - they contain your passwords in Base64 encoding, do NOT post those logs online unless you obfuscate first). This let’s you see exactly what the server is complaining about.

Hello, We recently went back to this issue since I had other things to do.

How do I output the actual SMTP server responses?

Hi. For some reason I neglected to paste the link I wanted to include in my last post. So I’ve edited that post now, you’ll find a link there.

1 Like

This got me to the right direction. The authentication fails so I had to add the password on the send() function.

I got this error: Exception in Controller: “Illegal Sender Address - rejected” when sending automated emails. Are you familiar with this?

I don’t find that message in SuiteCRM, is it coming from the SMTP server? If so, I would say you have a mismatch between the email address in the “From” field, and the actual email address in the account. Many SMTP servers nowadays reject that.

So for example, you can’t send from abd@gmail.com while specifying your “From” address as def@gmail.com. With a less demanding provider you might get away with it.

I’ve noticed that as well so I changed my From address to the one used by the SMTP. I’ve already solved this problem. Thank you.