how to create custom fields?

Hi

I am pretty new to SuiteCRM and I would like to know how to create custom fields. I did search and read documentation. My understanding that I need to do PHP coding for that. Is my understading correct? Any samples for that? Any documetation how to create custom fields?

How to create for example “Full Name” calculated field that could add automatically “First Name” and “Last Name” into new custom field “Full Name”

Thank you
Radek

You can create custom fields without any code, from Studio (and Module Builder if you want custom modules).

There is already a field that concatenates First name and Last name, I think it’s called “Name”

You would only need Workflows or Logic Hooks for more complex data handling (calculated fields).

1 Like

can I access “Studio” from here demo.suiteondemand.com?

No, because it’s an Admin feature.

There is another demo that allows admin access:

https://www.softaculous.com/demos/SuiteCRM

Start from the top-right menu, choose “Admin”, then “Studio”

1 Like

that’s what I am looking for! Great.

So does SuiteCRM offer some kind of calculated fields? The full name was just an example… for concatenate text. Another example would be to add numbers. Is that possbile witout coding?

Thank you
Radek

SuiteCRM does not have (yet) any calculated fields on layouts. You can do those with PHP (logic hooks).

It does have calculated fields in workflows, so for simple things like addition you can still get the job done. You need to create a Workflow that runs whenever the record is saved, and updates a certain field with an expression.

1 Like