Not able to install. I want to have in sub-directory under one of domains on hostgator.

Please suggest what I need to do to use this software. Here are my questions?

I could not follow any of the youtube stuff. Because everyone is talking different methods/avenues. So, how do I install it in a sub-directory on Hostgator? I have tried uploading unzipped files to the right directory. It took ages to upload and then I could not start the install from within the directory. Do you know the answer to this issue, please? So far, I don’t think it is sweet/suite at all.

Should I be messing with it at all? I say this because I would rather focus on my work then be bogged down with technical issues like the ones that have literally taken this entire weekend.

Some people have said, this tool will make your workload smaller by doing some of the heavy lifting? I find the opposite to be the case.

Let me say this “Much of what I do revolves around making calls and sending e-mail messages; 1, 10 and bulk”. These two areas are where I need help. Any ideas and input?

What did I do? http://mydomain/mysuitcrm/install.php … I get a 404 error. Not sure how to interpret? And, how to put the error right?

Not being techie is a huge obstacle but I like to be able to send out bulk e-mails and then track them. Can I do that using suite CRM? Normally, I use google to send and receive messages. Can I use Google’s e-mail to send those messages, track them etc? If so how, please?

Finally, I find all software a bit of a challenge. And, you know of a better solution that does not require me fiddling with it and making a pig’s ear of it.

It is very annoying, frustrating and needless waste of time. So, software developers out there, please have some consideration for the luddites like me.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your reply/feedback/advise.

Nazir

Hi. Some knowledge of Linux is required to install this on Linux (like I assume your hosting is). You need to be able to unzip files (if you had unzipped after uploading, it would have been much quicker), setting file permissions, loading correct PHP modules, setting up Cron, figuring out the correct URL to call in your case.

Your error means the server could not find the file, so it means you’re probably not putting the files in the right directory, or not typing the correct URL.

If you have a budget, even a very small one, you might be better off paying some one to install and do the initial configuration for you.

1 Like

Great feedback. where does one go to find a trusted installer?

But before that … I need to know if I can send bulk e-mails using this CRM. Can I use gmail for e-mail messaging/receiving?

I have a limited number of tasks that I like and need to perform.

Calling people is in par with e-mail messaging… I like to focus on these two tasks. Will it work for me?

I am essentially a one man band with a limited team. I want this tool to be my eyes are ears as it were.

I have tried others like ZOHO and prospectworks… I found them to be a nightmare. I found them to be more work than help.

I want to make that I am doing the right thing… before going through the rigmarole of setting up… and finding myself stuck…

Thank you in advance.

Maybe one of these guys?

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/browse/?q=suitecrm

You can send mass email campaigns with SuiteCRM.

You can also manage your phone calls from it (though of course it doesn’t place phone calls).

Maybe you can play with the live demo, if you haven’t already, to see the features.

suitecrm.com/demo

1 Like

I’ve had really good advise with my installation issues. Paying someone to do the installation is the best way forward for a novice like me.

Best advice ever I thought…

Then I went to upwarks to find expert installers…

I got the following quotes:-

1. $1300
  2. $611
  3. 4 to 5 hours at $20/per hour.

Is it a linux or windows installation someone asked? Can someone advise please?

lastly, what should the cost of installation be please?

Thank you in advance for your help/direction.

Whether it’s Windows or Linux depends on what hosting service you acquired from HostGator, only you can know. Shared hostings are most often Linux, I can tell you that.

I don’t know what you included in your request. I’d say a simple installation would be worth around 100 - 150 $, but then you start adding stuff: email configuration, which is tricky, customizations, special features you need,etc., the price can go up, and a lot.

so $1300 is a total rip-off for a basic installation (something I do in 10 minutes), but maybe it isn’t a rip-off if there is development work included in that price.

The last time I did a simple installation for someone here on the forums I charged 150 €. (before you ask, I am not in that market anymore, I am not interested in doing any more)

If you just need a plain installation without any configuration or customisation it should take no longer than 20/30 minutes.

These are the steps:

1. create a database (3 mins)
  2. upload zip file (1 - 3 mins, depending on connections speed)
  3. create folder (1 mins)
  4. unzip (1 - 10 mins, depending on server speed)
  5. set permissions (1 - 10 mins, depending on server speed)
  6. run install (5 - 10 mins, depending on server speed)
  7. add cronjob (3 - 5 mins)

I think I’ve had enough of SuiteCRM. Not suite enough for me I would say.

Please tell me which paid CRM I should go for. Below is an outline of my requirements:-

1. One man band working on a couple of projects. So, I like to track all my interactions with each project.
  2. I call people a lot. So, anything to increase the call number will be helpful. But, I want to track all calls and arrangements that I make with each caller. Or, someone says James is in today … call him tomorrow at 2 pm tomorrow. Or, if James says … can we speak at 12 Friday the 30th Feb., please…
  3. I send out e-mails… sometimes bulk … sometimes individuals… but I want to see the ones where I get a reply or interest. … I want to have a template ready to send out … Say I wish to send a message to James … I like to be able to pull up the template … add James name and push send.
  4. I am forever looking for an opportunity… So, when one pops up … or someone shows interest… I like to be able to pursue that… and I like it to be visible…
  5. If I get someone to do some research for me … say produce a list of people that I need to call … I like to be able to give a 3rd party limited access to upload the data from a remote location.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your reply.

I don’t know anything about any paid CRM’s, it’s a subject that does not interest me…

It makes no sense to drop SuiteCRM and go payed, if you are willing to pay :slight_smile:

You can ask SalesAgility for a quote, that way you’re sure they know what they’re doing. There’s also UrdhvaTech which has done hundreds of projects and does a few add-ons I use on a regular basis.

Anyway, good luck with your business!

All the things you want to do can be done with SuiteCRM.

Other Open Source CRMs do not have the same capabilities of SuiteCRM, while paid CRMs will be a lot more expensive for you than paying someone to install and possibly configure and customise it per your requirements.

All CRMs (whether open source or paid) require that you invest time for installation, configuration and customisation.

If your business is a serious business you should stop and try SuiteCRM before moving on immediately.

I gave you a short to do list of things to simplify your installation. I assume that with only a few exchanges on the forum you can complete everything on your own. Or, as suggested by Pedro, with USD 150 you can have it done for you (excluding customisations and special configurations).

You people are very suite I must say. Thank you for kicking me in the nuts.

Since our last exchanges, I’ve had more proposals submitted and they are more sensible.

My Hostgator account is reseller/shared. So, windows installation is on the agenda now.

Please share your thoughts with me re: this latest development

Thank you in advance.

From a quick look here

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/hosting-guide/hosting-plan-comparison/hosting-comparison-chart

I gather that Reseller and Shared are not the same thing, they’re two different plans. Which one do you have?

On the other hand, if you have “Shared” as I expect, it can be either Windows or Linux, so it’s not conclusive about that aspect.

Reseller account

Ok, then from that Hostgator chart we should conclude it’s Linux :slight_smile:

Though from CPanel you should be able to get more detailed information about your OS.

1 Like

Thanks to you good people … My Suite CRM is now installed and working. I have to say … it was in the pipeline for a very long time. I genuinely believe, it would still be in the pending tray had it not been for your input, prodding, good advise, direction and guidance…

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Now, integrating Gmail is my next task… I have done the following:-

1. Enabled IMAP
  2. Turned on the less secure apps button

can’t even send the test message from SuiteCRM.

Do you know how I can solve this problem please?

This is the error I get when I try to send a test message…

"…

Error:SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

…"

Please advise as to what I need to do to get the gmail integration working.

Thank you in advance.

Nazir

If you are on the latest version of any branch (7.8.15, 7.9.14, or 7.10) you should have a “Full SMTP log” link available when the “Sent Test Email” fails. I just added that feature to make debugging this kind of issue easier.

That usually contains all the clues you need.

Thank you…

It is all double dutch to me.

It will be helpful if you could give me details as opposed to clues. Techie I am not and therefore not able to help myself.

Please, tell me how I can integrate Gmail within suiteCRM Or, refer me to a help source.

Again, thank you.

Nazir

Dear Nazir

just copy paste the double-dutch stuff here so I can look at it. Thanks

This I have said before but it is worth re-stating…

You people are simply brilliant and I am most grateful to you for all your help.

I saw value in having a CRM but bringing it stream was a challenge. Why? For one thing, there are too many on the market and then a Luddite has no clue whose CRM is better. Plus, I could not handle the long training webinars. Surely, it is not that complicated. And, if it is complicated then the developer has missed the point. Most software developers do miss the point in my view.

I have teething problems with SuiteCRM… but not for long.

Where ever I am, I could not have done it without your help. I mean it. I did many “free 14 trials”. They were a challenge to say the least.

Finally, if there are short, to the point training videos that you can point me to … please do and thank you in advance.

May God Bless…

Nazir