Dynamic Dropdown Help

Firstly I’d just like to say thank you to everyone involved in the SuiteCRM project. I started using this as the managers of the company I work for decided they wanted a CRM system. I suggested taking a look at this and since that time (although it is only in development) they are very pleased with the progress of the system and the look and feel of it, and are very impressed with what you get for the price! On a more personal note I find the whole admin side fantastic, features are brilliant and the support/development on the forums seems excellent, so please, keep up the great work.

But to the issue, I have searched around and can’t find anything on this…

I need to create a Dynamic Dropdown list using the sales_stage as it’s parent. In short they want a if marked “Closed Lost” , why reason dropdown?

Following the guides on this site I have successfully made a dropdown dependent list which works to a degree. If I select “Prospecting” or “Qualification” it successfully populates the child dropdown…however…I don’t seem to be able to get it to populate when selecting “Closed Lost” or “Closed Won”.

From digging I notice that the Item Name of “Closed Lost” has a space in the middle, but you can’t enter spaces on Item Names on the child dropdown list. I’ve tried using Lost_, Closed_Lost , Closed%Lost_, ClosedLost_, “Closed Lost_” all to no avail.

Any ideas or is there something silly that I’m missing?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the great feedback!

In regards to your issue, Would it be possible to provide us with some screenshots to help clarify the issue?

Specifically, Screenshots of your 2 Dropdown fields, (The Parent and Child) , and the Dropdown Values that these two are using?

This should hopefully point out a potential issue and help us resolve!

Hey John, cheers for your response.

Couple of screenshots attached. As you can see the sales_stage now shows “ClosedLost” as a selection. I removed the space from the language file in custom/include/language folder which now allows me to use the child dropdown correctly. This did mean however I had to add ClosedLost in the sales_probability_dom dropdown so that the % filed still worked correctly, not a problem.

But you can still see from the grabs that “Closed Won” still has the space, which means you can’t use a dynamic dropdown on this selection (or at least I can’t figure it out!).

For now the above workaround is fully functional, may be worth removing the spaces in the future so dynamic dropdowns can work correctly.

Hi,

I believe you’ve worked out the issue here!

This issue is because the Dynamic Dropdown requires a certain format. ( [PARENT ITEM NAME]_[CHILD ITEM NAME] )
And, if your Dynamic Dropdown values don’t match this format, then they don’t show as options.

As you are unable to enter Spaces in an Item name via Studio, You won’t be able to get an exact match in your Parent Item name.
(I.e, You won’t be able to enter “Closed Won_[ItemName]”, however, you can enter "ClosedLost_[ItemName], so the Latter of the two will work. )

So, two ways to work around this would be:
-Do as you have mentioned, (Rename the value in the Custom Language file, and update it in the sales_probability_dom),
-Or create a new Custom Sales Stage field, and update the sales_probability_dom.

Hopefully that clears things up a little bit.

1 Like

Be careful if you rename the names (keys) of your list items because, if you have already used them in some record, you will lose the information: the database will keep the old value for those previously filled records. This can be solved via database queries or, possibly, via a workflow.

1 Like

Hi,

Have the same problem.

My dropdown dependent list doesn’t run.

I have attached a copy of the elements below of the 2 drop-down list fields (Parent and Child) and the drop-down list values they use.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Items in the drop-down list:

Key[display text]

blank [blank]
Software [Software]
Feature [Feature]
Usability [Usability]
Other [Other]
License [License]

Items in the drop-down list:

Key[display text]
Software_Error_Message [ErrorMessageSoftware]
Software_Installation [InstallationSoftware]
Feature_Blank [BlankFeature]
Feature_Error_Message [ErrorMessageFeature]
License_Renaw [RenawLicense]
License_Invalid [InvalidLicense]
Usability_blank [BlankUsability]
Usability_error_message [ErrorMessageUsability]
Other_1other [Other 1]
Other_2other [Other 2]
blank_test2 [Test2%20Blank]
blank_test1 [Test1 Blank]

I know this is an old thread, but just had the exact same situation and think I found a better solution. The issue is the default “Closed Lost” in the Sales Stage dropdown. If you’re trying to enter a dynamic dropdown like “Lost Reason” you can’t enter a field value for a dropdown item like “Closed Lost_price” (ie: lost on price).

So, enter it as “Closed_Lost_price” for the list value. Then, go to /custom/include/language/eng_us.lang.php and change the value from “Closed_Lost_….” to “Closed Lost_

Then, do a quick repair and rebuild.

EXAMPLE:

$GLOBALS[‘app_list_strings’][‘lost_reson_list’]=array (
‘’ => ‘’,
‘Closed Lost_price’ => ‘Price’,
‘Closed Lost_diqualified’ => ‘Disqualified’,
‘Closed Lost_no_budget’ => ‘No Budget’,
‘on_hold_resched’ => ‘Rescheduled’,
‘on_hold_dm’ => ‘Change Decision Maker’,
‘on_hold_financial’ => ‘Financial’,
);

1 Like