Installing on Windows and the disappearing handlers in web.config

I’m installing a second instance of SuiteCRM on my server. The first works fine. The new one won’t make it through the install with a 500 error from IIS or “the white screen of death.”

Having attempted several installs, there’s no consistent point at which the install dies, but I’ve determined that my web.config file gets overwritten at the same time.

I’ve added two handler mapping entries to my web.config:

<handlers>
        <remove name="PHPModuleMapping" />   (An older version of PHP)
        <add name="PHP7" path="*.php" verb="*" modules="FastCgiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\php724\php-cgi.exe" resourceType="File" />
    </handlers>

I have to do this to get the install started or else I get an error message stating that my PHP handler is out of date.

The installer happily churns through relationships and tables, than abruptly returns an error message or the white screen. Nothing is posted to the log files.

But when I investigate the web.config file, the handlers information (above) is gone.

Any ideas?

IIS 8.5, Windows Server 12, PHP 7.2.4, SuiteCRM 7.11.3

Thanks!

– Cliff

You might need to increase some values in your php.ini:

memory_limit (make it 256MB or more)
max_execution_time
max_upload_size
max_post_size

Your web server log (php_errros.log or errors.log, or maybe it’s in Event Viewer on Windows) should be telling you exactly what the error is.

1 Like

Thanks.

I’ve looked in all the logs. There’s hardly anything in them. Nothing to indicate the source of this error.

But I got the site working. Here’s how:

I added the handler info to the web.config file.

Then I marked web.config Read Only.

Then I set ‘installer_locked’ => false,

Then I ran the installer.

Worked fine.

I tested a few more times and indeed, something in the installer will overwrite the web.config file and, as soon as it does, the proper PHP handler disappears and the process dies.

Weird, eh!?

– Cliff

1 Like