How to specify MS SQLserver Database and Port number during install

I am trying to install SuiteCRM 7.10.9 on win Server 2016.
php 7.2.11 is installed with Apache 2.4
MS SQLServer drivers for PHP are installed and the SuiteCRM setup system environment check has no errors.

My company’s DBA configured a SQLServer instance for me, and provided username, password, hostname, instance name, and port number.
The SQL server is on a different computer than the web server which is hosting this instance of SuiteCRM.
On the SuiteCRM Database Configuration section, I am able to check the radio button for SQL Server (Microsoft SQL Driver for PHP)
but for the hostname there are two boxes side by side, and the format for specifying the hostname with the instance and the non-default port number is not clearly documented in an easy to find place.

The error after clicking “Next” is: The provided database host, username, and/or password is invalid, and a connection to the database could not be established. Please enter a valid host, username and password

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

• brad

Can you post a screenshot? I don’t have a Windows Server to test this on, and I suspect the screen might appear different than with Linux.

If you can post screenshot here, use https://pasteboard.co

Anyway a typical thing to try is

my.server.com:1234

here is a screenshot.
https://pasteboard.co/HKhyeig.jpg

I don’t remember ever seeing that second edit box to the right of “Host name”.

Does that little (i) tell you anything useful when you hover your mouse over it?

You can also check your DNS resolution, see if your server can correctly resolve “dbc1-dc1”.

Or you can try an IP address (even if just as a temporary test).

The little (i) states the obvious that the field is for the hostname of the web server or machine where the database is located. It states that if one has the database on the local machine, “localhost” is better than 127.0.0.1

The hostname resolves correctly from a terminal command prompt running on the web server, both when using the hostname alone, and when using the FQDN.

Using the IP address instead of the hostname gives the same errors.

I just remembered I was involved in a discussion that touched on this issue

https://github.com/salesagility/SuiteCRM/issues/5510

But I was left wondering how this would behave for non-MySQL systems. Please have a look and try a few variations, tell me if it advances anything.

If not, I guess we’ll have to start looking at the code and perhaps hacking it to pass the parameters correctly. Once we figure out where the bug is we can then fix it more properly…

Thanks for your reply about the github link. I did not see it until now (3 days later).
One of the DB admins at my company assisted. When she was installing some SQL server diagnostic tools, the SQL client software was installed. After this was installed I was able to place the sql server hostname in the left side box, and the instance name in the right side box. Everything proceeded fine after that.

There was no need to specify the non-standard port number. Specifying the name of the DB instance was enough.

1 Like

Hi everybody,

I’m trying to install SuiteCRM 7.11 with SQL Server 2012 on a Windows machine. Whatever I put as Database informations, I’m always getting the error: The provided database host, username, and/or password is invalid, and a connection to the database could not be established. Please enter a valid host, username and password. Here are my installations info:

• Windows 10
  • IIS version 10
  • SQL Server 2012
  • php 7.2.14 (NTS)
  • Microsoft drivers 5.3 for SQL (I have added the extension in the php.ini file as well)
  • I have created the user adminCRM in SQL with susadmin priviledges
  • The SQL instance is the default one (MSSQLSERVER)
  • The SQL server name can be localhost (SuiteCRM will be installed on same machine). I also tried with the name of the machine (PC-98-DELL0518).

I would like to attach a screenshot of my install wizard but the button “Add file” doesn’t work… :frowning:

Could you please help me as this is a show stopper for us.

Thank you

The key step that made things work on my install was the Microsoft SQL client tools. they are installed as part of the SQL Server Management Studio(SMS), which is free. Since your sql server version is older (2012 vs 2017) I can’t tell you which version of the client tools of the SQL SMS will work for you.

Hope this points you in a positive direction.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t solve the problem. I even update SQL client tool. I still have the same error. :blink: :frowning:

What is the instance name you put? Mine, is the default one: MSSQLSERVER. Is it the good format? So, I put “Localhost” in the left box and “MSSQLSERVER” in the right side box.

I finally got it to work. Here is what I’ve done:

This has worked for me.

1 Like