upgrade from 7.8 issues

I like to upgrade my v7.8.3 (php 5.6).
First I install v 7.9, everything went OK but then to 7.10 the upgrade wizard ends with a white screen with all linktexts and a button Toggle Menu. The normal interface is gone and site seems very slow not responding.
I needed to Restore back to 7.8.3, now in the Upgrade wizard Step1 (system check) is all OK. Then in Step2 (upload package) I directly see errors appearing; Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_base has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxxbe/subsites/crm.xxxxx.be/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 321
and 10 more similar lines.
I can select and upload a package but it doesn’t appear in the Ready to install section somehow, so I can’t go to step 3.
Whatever package I try 7.8>7.9 or 7.8>7.10. In the meantime I also upgrade tp php7.1.
Finally I tried upgrade package 7.8.20 and this one works OK. So now I have working v7.8.20 but also now the upload of the next packages doesn’t work.

I also noticed that Studio returns 3 blank sections with titels; Tree, Main and Help. Rebuilding makes no difference. I cleaned the Custom folder also.
The Upgradewizard logs show lines like: Tue Jun 12 16:55:06 2018 [21602][1][FATAL] Job failed: ./index.php?module=jjwg_Maps&entryPoint=jjwg_Maps&cron=1
Tue Jun 12 16:55:06 2018 [21602][1][FATAL] Job b9d0a26d-101b-f876-1646-5b1fde0f83f6 (Geo maps) failed in CRON run

Any ideas what to try more?

Try the upgrade directly from 7.8.20 to 7.10.6. There’s no need to complicate things by going through 7.9. You’ll find the appropriate package on the normal download page of SuiteCRM upgrades.

7.10.6 also fixes a bug in the installer package itself, maybe this is what you’re getting. If not, we’ll have to dig deeper into permissions issues you might have.

Another approach you can try is to first upgrade PHP to 7.x, then try the SuiteCRM upgrade.

I’m already on php 7.1, just tried 7.2, but no difference.
When I select the package and then hit Upload Package, I dot get the message: ‘SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.8.x-to-7.10.6.zip has been uploaded’. But it doesn’t appear in the section Ready to install.
From earlier attempts I see in the section, ’ The following upgrade packages have been installed:’
-7.8.3 (3times)
I already tried Deleted Package, and now the button ‘Delete package’ is gone, but it still shows 7.10.6 in the listing. Do I need to clear this list first somehow? I deleted already some leftovers in /cache/upgrade/temp but still have 2 folders there now.

I remember when the first attempt of the 7.10 upgrade failed, when I returned to the upgrade wizard, that it still was not finilaised, it needed to complete some steps. Maybe this mixed up some versions/DB?

Which version does “About” report? Maybe you are already at 710.6…

You can also delete (or better, rename) directory “upload/upgrades” to start fresh.

About says: Version 7.8.20, Sugar Version 6.5.25 (Build 344)
I renamed the /cache/upgrades no difference.
Strange that I can upload the package, I then get a confimation, but on Next it says: ‘Upload a package before continuing’. Just like it don’t find the upload.
Anymore idea’s to get this running? After 2 days trying and searching I’m getting desperate.

You might have permissions issues in the “upload” directory.

When you upload, check if the file is there, and is readable.

Other random things that sometimes fix difficulties upgrading:

1. Adding higher values in php.ini for memory_limit, max_execution_time, max_upload_size

2. Re-downloading the package

3. Unzipping and then re-zipping the package

4. Checking your php zip module is loaded correctly

5. Upgrading PHP

after upload, then I check with Filezilla in /cache/upgrades/temp/, there I see new created folder with random names like qK9tIF or wMirTB, with current time stamp. In these folders I see only 1 file manifest.php.
So is the upload not done correctly, or I’m looking in the wrong place? Maybe the files are extracted somewhere else?
These are the rights I see
/upgrades flcdmpe (0775)
/temp flcdmpe (02770)
/qK9tIF flcdmpe (02770)

PHP memory_limit is at max, 256M
max_execution_time also at max, 300
upload_max_filesize 128M

As I wrote above, check (or remove) the “upload/upgrades” directory, not the “cache/upgrades”.

You might have some clues in upgradeWizard.log and php_errrors.log

I removed /upload/upgrades and after Uploading Package, it get a new folder /upgrades with 5 emtpy subfolders like /full /langpack /module…

The upload is done correctly I suppose and get extracted also.
I get a folder in /cache/temp/…/SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.8.x-to-7.10.6 with all the subfolders and files inside.

I deleted the upgradewizard.log before and thes are the last 5 lines of it:
Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:29:05 +0200 [UpgradeWizard] - updating UpgradeWizard code: HandleAjaxCall.php
Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:29:05 +0200 [UpgradeWizard] - updating UpgradeWizard code: include/utils/sugar_file_utils.php
Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:29:05 +0200 [UpgradeWizard] - updating UpgradeWizard code: include/UploadFile.php
Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:29:05 +0200 [UpgradeWizard] - finding new files for upgrade
Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:29:05 +0200 [UpgradeWizard] - *** UW using [ ] as source for patch files.
No errors here at the end of the log file, but what does UW stand for?

About 6 files show skipped in the log, like this;
Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:29:03 +0200 [UpgradeWizard] - Skipping “/data/sites/web/xxxxxbe/subsites/crm.xxxxx.be/cache/upgrades/temp/OJ3KeE/SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.8.x-to-7.10.6/modules/UpgradeWizard/uw_main.tpl” - file copy will during commit step.
I don’t understand the’ commit step’?

So far it looks the upload packages is uploaded, it is exctracted in /cache and also in other folders like:
modules/UpgradeWizard/uw_emptyFunctions.php
But at the end of step 2 of the upgradewizzard, it doesn’t appear in the list of ‘package ready to be installed’ I’m not able to go to Step3.

What is keeping it from the next step?

You need to check php_errors.log, or whatever your web server log is called. You probably have some PHP error there.

Well I checked the php logo toghether with my provider support:
They this error should be looked after,and if the PHP version is supported? I have PHP 7.0 now like advised.

[Fri Jun 15 17:05:36.872132 2018] [error] [pid 26808] mod_proxy_fcgi.c(848): [client 81.83.9.82:55059] AH01071: Got error ‘PHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_base has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxxbe/subsites/crm.xxxxx.be/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 321\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_fault has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxxbe/subsites/crm.xxxxx.be/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 1455\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_xmlschema has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxxbe/subsites/crm.xxxxx.be/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 1744\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; soapval has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxxbe/subsites/crm.xxxxx.be/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 2924\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; soap_transport_http has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxxbe/subsites/crm.xxxxx.be/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 3227\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_server has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxxbe/subsites/crm.xxxxx.be/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 4733\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; wsdl has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxxbe/subsites/crm.xxxxx.be/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 6069\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_parser has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxxbe/subsites/crm.xxxxx.be/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 8205\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_client has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxxbe/subsites/crm.xxxxx.be/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 9057\n’

Those Deprecated messages are safe to ignore. They’re only warning that future versions of PHP won’t support some code constructs, they’re not mentioning any problem now, in the present. When the time comes these will be dealt with for the entire SuiteCRM codebase. But you shouldn’t think your problems are coming from these messages, they aren’t.

Thanks for the follow up.
Okay I understand, besides the deprecated message Ido’nt find anything meaningfull or related to this issue.
Still I’m not able to get further than step 2 in the Upgrade wizard, whatever I try.
I’m think to start again all over, with my backup from 7.8.3. Or maybe a fresh installation on a new location and importing my database there?
And then to try the update again.
Would uploading the logs here of any meaning?

Any Javascript errors in your browser when the process fails? See the Browser’s developer console.

I did a right reset on files and folders:
755 for all files/folders recursively
775 recursively for the folders: cache, custom, modules, themes, data, upload, and also the file config_override.php
Then I did repair and rebuild.
That change something, in a negative way, now I don’t have a dashboard, instead I see ‘SuiteCRM has been written and assembled by SalesAgility. The Program is provided AS IS, without warranty. Licensed under AGPLv3…’
View Leads shows nothing, on the left I have a bookmark and 4 recent viewed of which 1 shows date (employee).

I think I will need to start all over with a fresh install of v7.8.3 and import my backup DB.

You don’t mention ownership (chown command). The permissions don’t mean anything without ownerships… Make sure the files are owned by the same user that your web server is using to run.

The broken screens sometimes are fixed easily with a cache rebuild, or deleting directory "cache/themes (it get recreated). But only if there are no underlying ownership/permissions problems.

In all files and folders I see my hosting name alright as owner and group, so I suppose this is OK. I thought I asked my hosting provider before how I can change owner but they say there is no need for somehow…

So I deleted the /cache/themes and that gave some changes, now I lost the normal interface, just very small top row menu names, and 3 search input fields with search button. That is due the theme that is deleted I suppose?
I had that effect before and misteriously it recovers after some hours? Very weird. With refesh browser no luck.
So I need to reset right to 775 for /cache/themes, and now I have the normal interface again, but still no data or dashboard.

Is there anything more I can try from the Repair menu, besides the Quick repair? There are dozens others but I’m not sure about them.

Your hosting probably makes your web server run under your own user name, so if the files are owned by that user name, you shouldn’t have to change anything.

Which command are you using to set permissions? Are you doing a “chmod -R” from an SSH console?

Can you please paste here the results of this command, given from your SuiteCRM root directory:

ls -al

Can you find your web server log? Where the PHP errors go. Ask your hosting (it’s normally called php_errors.log)

I don’t have a SSH console on my host, I need to use Filezilla to set the rights, where I rightclick the folder and set ‘775’ recursive.
Here are the last lines of the phperror.log I think from the last upgrade attempt 3h ago:

[Fri Jun 22 11:54:36.870739 2018] [crit] [pid 14290] config.c(2246): (13)Permission denied: [client 81.83.9.82:58847] AH00529: /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/cache/themes/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that ‘/data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/cache/themes/’ is executable
[Fri Jun 22 11:58:26.455697 2018] [error] [pid 14290] mod_proxy_fcgi.c(848): [client 81.83.9.82:61536] AH01071: Got error ‘PHP message: PHP Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(cache/modules/unified_search_modules.php/language/en_us.lang.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/data/sites/web/xxxxx:/usr/local/php-7.0/lib/php:/usr/bin:/tmp:/data/vendor-scripts:/data/sites/web/disabled:/etc/ssl/certs) in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/SugarObjects/LanguageManager.php on line 166\nPHP message: PHP Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(cache/modules/unified_search_modules.php/language/nl_NL.lang.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/data/sites/web/xxxxx:/usr/local/php-7.0/lib/php:/usr/bin:/tmp:/data/vendor-scripts:/data/sites/web/disabled:/etc/ssl/certs) in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/SugarObjects/LanguageManager.php on line 166\nPHP message: PHP Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(cache/modules/unified_search_modules.php/language/en_us.lang.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/data/sites/web/xxxxx:/usr/local/php-7.0/lib/php:/usr/bin:/tmp:/data/vendor-scripts:/data/sites/web/disabled:/etc/ssl/certs) in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/SugarObjects/LanguageManager.php on line 166\nPHP message: PHP Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(cache/modules/unified_search_modules.php/language/nl_NL.lang.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/data/sites/web/xxxxx:/usr/local/php-7.0/lib/php:/usr/bin:/tmp:/data/vendor-scripts:/data/sites/web/disabled:/etc/ssl/certs) in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/SugarObjects/LanguageManager.php on line 166\n’
[Fri Jun 22 12:02:15.387093 2018] [error] [pid 22444] mod_proxy_fcgi.c(848): [client 81.83.9.82:64282] AH01071: Got error ‘PHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_base has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 321\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_fault has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 1455\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_xmlschema has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 1744\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; soapval has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 2924\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; soap_transport_http has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 3227\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_server has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 4733\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; wsdl has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 6069\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_parser has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 8205\nPHP message: PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; nusoap_client has a deprecated constructor in /data/sites/web/xxxxx/subsites/crm.xxxxx.xx/include/nusoap/nusoap.php on line 9057\n’

I do have SSH access:
here is the ls -al result from the root

It doesn’t show somehow but link works.
yellow frame: I cut my hostname out for safety