7.9.4 multiple issues

I’ve installed a new instance of SuiteCRM 7.9.4 and I’m having a lot of errors.

First of all, seeing the word “Undefined” everywhere.

Second, many links and buttons just don’t work sometimes. Such as the Save button underneath the update text box on a case view. Sometimes it works, sometimes says javascript void at bottom left of browser, sometime does nothing at all. I can’t seem to pin down when it works and when it doesn’t.

Any ideas?
I’m assuming someone will suggest permissions, so I’ll double check, but I’m sure I went through that during installation.

If there is someone out there that has a lot of experience with SuiteCRM, we are willing to hire freelance help to get this up and running the way we want it. Is it even allowed to ask that here? We are tired of dealing with all this, but find the dedicated support to be more than we need.

Hi mattds91,

What was the result of double checking permissions? “undefined” labels are regularly a permissions issue. An example of correct permissions:

sudo chown -R : .
sudo chmod -R 755 .
sudo chmod -R 775 cache custom modules themes data upload config_override.php

Also set them in default_permissions in config.php. After this run quick repair and rebuild (Admin->Repair>Quick Repair&Rebuild) making sure to check the bottom of the screen encase there is an action to execute, if so execute it and rerun quick repair. Once done, reset files and folder permissions again and do a hard reset of your browser cache.

Let me know if you still encounter issue’s after this.

Thanks.

1 Like

Here’s what my default.php has for default_permissions:

‘default_permissions’ =>
array (
‘dir_mode’ => 1528,
‘file_mode’ => 493,
‘user’ => ‘’,
‘group’ => ‘’,
),

Not sure what to change here, or if this is correct. What should it be?

Okay, I talked to my hosting provider (siteground) and detailed the permissions needed on exact folders, and they fixed it right up for me.

That DID fix the “undefined” issue. It also seems to have fixed the [sometimes] broken links.

I have another topic regarding my issues getting joomla portal working, and I am going to check to see if it helped that situation as well.

Thank you for your help

Turns out I’m still getting undefined errors in some places - most notable one is in the Quotes module. When I try to create a quote and get down to line items, I cannot add a product line or service line, every field there says “undefined” after clicking “ADD GROUP.”

The Invoices module does not have this issue, I can add line items just fine there.

I’ve triple checked permissions, any other ideas?

More images, from studio

@Dillon-Brown Thank you, Chmod as your detail and work for me !

Can anyone tell me what these values should be?

I switched to a hosting provider a few months ago, and I’m really starting to regret that. Sure it’s a bit faster, but not having full control of my server has been a real pain. I can’t just run commands like chown or chmod. I set permissions via FTP and they seem to keep changing. These errors keep coming back and I have to keep setting permissions all the time.

Correction - should be config.php, not default.php. Maybe that’s why I never got a response the first time I asked.
I tried setting dir_mode and file_mode to 755, and the appropriate user and group. After setting that and doing a quick repair and rebuild it broke my site and no suitecrm pages would load - had to load a backup.

Did you ever get the ‘undefined’ issue resolved?

Can you share your solution, please?

I am having the same issue.

Thanks.

I am with Bluehost on a shared plan, it can be a bit tricky! What I have found for me is to set the permissions as follows

755 ALL files then

775 for directory, folders and all files inside these - cache, custom, data, modules, upload and config_override.php

Also set 775 for the themes folder only, not the folders and files inside the theme folder

This might be why you are seeing problems.

One other thing I have noticed is as you go into new screens, modules, etc… the page is cached. I have to periodically run the permissions again on everything to make sure I don’t get any “undefined” errors. It’s a pain, but necessary for SuiteCRM to function correctly. Anytime you run quick repair and rebuild or make any changes, you need to run the permissions again and even clear your browser cache to make sure everything is running properly. Thanks!

I am on JustHost a very close relative of Bluehost and have run the permissions you suggest Irosenvall. I still get the “Undefined” message displayed on all popups as well as a good number of column headers and labels.

The installation I have is a fresh install of 7.10.7

In the past month, on this exact server, I have run an instance of 7.9.x with permissions set that did not cause the “undefined” labels. The installation is no longer available or I would look there for permissions guidance.

Have you tried the 2nd part of my advice -

“One other thing I have noticed is as you go into new screens, modules, etc… the page is cached. I have to periodically run the permissions again on everything to make sure I don’t get any “undefined” errors. It’s a pain, but necessary for SuiteCRM to function correctly. Anytime you run quick repair and rebuild or make any changes, you need to run the permissions again and even clear your browser cache to make sure everything is running properly. Thanks!”

I have. It was very explicit and I have run through it a few times to make sure I was getting the process done as you suggested. I will attempt to run through it again as well just to make sure. I will check with an alternate browser as well just to make sure that is not the issue.

As a side note: I do not have a user “www-data” on the server so the owner is set to my user on the shared server. Are you set up the same way or does BlueHost have “www-data” setup as the user?

We are set up the same way, no www-data

OK, good to hear. I have never had a problem with it in the past.

I did run through the entire permissions reset process you outline. Including clearing the cache on my browser. Nothing changed. I have also attempted to load the site on multiple browsers with no change.

The real problem occurs when I am attempting to modify a layout or some other process that comes up with a popup confirmation box with all of the buttons labeled as “undefined”. It is a crap shoot which button is SAVE and what is CANCEL. I have lost a few minutes worth of work more times than once! I just smile when they come up and hope for the best.

I originally installed SuiteCRM on this server 2 years ago and have upgraded multiple times. I have had the “undefined” label issue before and got it resolved when the system was upgraded to 7.9.x. It was some obscure change that I was sure I found on this site. I will have to keep digging I suppose and see what I can come up with.

So after resetting the permissions about a thousand times and pulling my hair out with “Quick Repairs” I finally actually looked at the .htaccess file. Well, it turns out that if you have TWO sections then things go haywire. Removed the section that was outside of “SUGARCRM RESTRICTIONS” section and POOF, no more undefined labels.

So now on to the actual frustrating part…dealing with the sales team on implementation!