SuiteCRM 7.8.9 (LTS) Maintenance Patch Now Available

SuiteCRM 7.8.9 is now available to download.

This is a minor release of SuiteCRM featuring a variety of bugfixes.

For a full list please View Release Notes for 7.8.9

Thank you to all community members who logged bugs and contributed to this release.

All input is welcome.

The SuiteCRM Team.

1 Like

Dear Suitecrm community,
Thank you for this welcomed patch. I am looking forward to install it and get ride of the nasty bugs :wink:
I get on the suitecrm train on 7.8.7 and updating to 7.8.8 didn t seem to correct much problems…and actually added quite a lot of bugs :frowning: Such as “undefined” labels everywhere etc …

Therefore I have questions:
1)Did someone tried this update on his server ? And did it work ? Did anyone experienced any problems during the update ?

2)Does the user experience with this 7.8.9 is less buggy than the previous ?

3)As a +10 years user of sugarcrm, I have sometime the feeling that basic functions like email, quotes, where working better in the good old times… In emails I cannot even see the emails over 50 emails in 7.8.8…the arrows disappeared…Is it back now in 7.8.9 ?

Dear Ian2000,

This is the only issue here.
If you were an admin, you would searching to find and solve the issues. But you didn’t even bother searching the forum for a solution.
For example, regarding the “undefined” labels there are numerous posts about this issue and 99% of them has to do with the access rights of the SuiteCRM folder see here and here (section: “Copying SuiteCRM files to web server” No. 4 & 5)

The only thing I see in your post is bugs, bugs, bugs and only bugs, but you don’t go deeper.
SuiteCRM is not like notepad or a pdf viewer, that you just download and install the update and everything is fine.
SuiteCRM is much more complex. SuiteCRM utilises many different aspects in order to produce the page you see in your browser.

In conclusion, it is OK if you don’t want to go deeper, but then find someone who is already there to help you.

Dear erevodifosin,
Thanks for your comments on what is the philosophical approach of a user…intresting.
I am more in down to earth approach to make my business function correctly and reliably.

And yes there are a lot of bugs, more in my sens than on the original sugarcrm project…
A lot of features are just broken, you have 99% that works, but the last 1% makes the function useless:
for example emails you can t go back anymore, quotes doesn t have the page break that function = useless…and you may continue the list… Agenda infinite “loading”= useless

Notepad at least works :wink:
I am now typing this text on linux, there is a kernel, TCP IP , file system, and what not complexity, and it just work. No bugs, 0.

Do you have answers to my questions on how reliable is this version?

Concernning the chmod 777, it is the first thing I always do before launching an install. And the wizard warns you anyway…
What I wrote is it was working quite OK first install; and then did the first update and got more bugs…now it is legitimate to ask yourself : “am I going to break more my CRM with this update ?” It is a strange question…but some how make sense with suitecrm…

Thanks for your help

PS: I agree with you in a sens that I am not trying anymore to solve issues, because I see that a lot of bugs are corrected but not commited : 180 fix proposed : https://github.com/salesagility/SuiteCRM/labels/Fix%20Proposed
I think the dev team is clearly focused on correcting bugs which is a great idea…I don t think they even need more bugs to be recorded…there is enough on the stack :slight_smile: like the elementary broken function…

Dear lan2000,
Seriously, do you believe all those you wrote? (No need to answer, I know you do).

First I don’t have answers for your questions I haven’t tested the version. I am waiting for 7.10.

An even more down to earth approach is the company I’m working for. They had build a “program” on MS Access and I migrate it in SuiteCRM without any prior knowledge of SuiteCRM. Do you think I just installed Suitecrm and everything was fine? Small server installation with only 7 users, but the customization I have done is huge. I created a module that communicates with external APIs and can track ships location. Currently I am building my own report tool as a module, cause the current report module is not enough for my company.

Seriously(again)? Do you believe there are no bugs in Linux, kernel or whatever software(including paid software)?
Hundreds of developers have spent countless hours in order for each Linux distro to reach its current state.
Do you REALLY believe that it just works?
If yes, then you are still a USER.

Even MS doesn’t give warranty for Windows. An OS that MS is building for more than 20 years!

Seriously(3rd time)?
You wrote and I quote: “am I going to break more my CRM with this update ?”. Honestly, I am doing this question on ANY update of ANY program or ANY operating system. Probably you haven’t faced a Kernel Panic issue yet, have you? Let me guess… hmmm… you are using Ubuntu, aren’t you?
Today I did a fresh installation of Windows 10(most recent,reliable,stable, super duper MS OS) on a laptop. I let it to do the updates. After a couple of hours I checked the laptop and I found a huge log file of 200GBs that was related with the Windows Update. Long story, short. Somehow Windows Update hanged(or whatever) because of a not installed driver of the sound card but the device manager was saying that it was OK!(smells like bug).

The conclusion is that it NEVER just works.
And yes there are times that updates can cause even more bugs than those they solve. This is how it works. You have to accept it and live with it.
If you can’t, find the software you need that doesn’t have bugs or hire someone who is his job to do the updates and solve the issues. Then you will have more free time to run your bussiness.

Complaints about bugs, will not help anyone.
Everyone knows that bugs do exist(and eventually will conquer the world). :smiley:
The big deal is to find the solution as soon as possible

Edit: I apologise for the long post.

It’s pretty easy, lan2000: if you are so seriously disappointed with this (freely available) solution, then write your own solution you will be happy with. It’s how I learned to code. After that, please come back and tell us about functionality, features, how much deployments it has and - how much does it costs.

Mike

1 Like

Hi MikeRosky,
Thanks for your constructive approach :slight_smile:
That s exactly what we are doing at my company, doing a prototype CRM, to see how it could fit our needs.
We are aware this might be the hard way. We want to benchmark how costly it would be as you mentioned.
More soon!

And yes Mike it is “free”, but some might question the total cost of ownership. And might found it increases (ex: when employees have to return to their web mail, or cannot do quotes in a productive way)

Sorry if my comments are misunderstood. We totally acknowledge the hard word done on this CRM product and by its community.
And it has been tremendously useful for my company in its sugar crm incarnation. Now we are 14 years later and expectations are different.

Anyhow, I leave it here and wont ask any other question.
Thanks for your help