Email Settings Error - Can't Figure Out Why

Hi There,

I’m having some difficulty setting up Email Settings. I’ve used SuiteCRM before on a few different servers and I’m entering the same email settings as the working instances and this new instance is not taking the settings, it keeps giving the SMTP Error

(Error:SMTP connect() failed. github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting)

I’m using version 7.8.3

I’ve tried Gmail, Exchange (Office365) and Other (using same details as working SuiteCRM instance)

I had the exact same problem with my installation this weekend. I got it working after trying many different things, but I’m not sure which one solved it…

Things to try:

• (re-)installing sendmail on your server

• there seems to be some bug in the password entry of smtp settings. Hit save before you hit test. If that doesn’t work, hit test before you hit save.

• try a different email account. I was using an old account for tests, with authentication but without security (neither TLS nor SSL), and it didn’t work (it worked before, in previous SuiteCRM installs). When I moved to Gmail with TLS, it works.

• campaigns only send on their schedule. For testing it’s easier to go into Admin/Email Queue and force sending immediately.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply pgr!

I’m glad I’m not the only one facing this issue.

I’ll try your suggestions tonight and post again with results.

Actually was dealing with the exact same set of issues. Here’s my scenario and how I got around it:

• Docker container running MariaDB and SuiteCRM (https://github.com/bitnami/bitnami-docker-suitecrm)
  • Was able to validate non-authenticated SMTP and authenticated SMTP accounts for outbound email.
  • Was not able to successfully test or use IMAP accounts for inbound “bounce” emails.
  • IMAP with and without authentication (various version, port assignments, using GMAIL, O365, and yahoo accounts, nothing worked).
  • I was able to get IMAP enabled within the Docker Container (required a sed command to insert the line into the php config file to activate the extension).
    At that point, I wasn’t able to get any further.

I installed a new CentOS7 vm, and followed this in order to get it installed and configured.

Was able to immediately authenticate and test IMAP accounts as inbound Bounce.

So… TL;DR Docker Container proved too unruly and difficult to manually edit or reconfigure, swapped to native VM installation of SuiteCRM (7.8.3) and was able to get past the IMAP hiccup causing the SMTP connect errors.

Also… sounds stupid, but double-check your passwords. Mine had originally added a white space after the last character when I was pasting the complex password in.

Hello

I have the same problem as you.
When I send an email test, it works.
After having saved the settings, it does not work anymore and I have a message "Erreur emailing :SMTP connect() failed. "
So it is a problem due to the saving capacity of Suitecrm

NB : my settings : TLS, smtp port : 587.

How can I do ?
Thanks for your reply
Olivier

I am not sure if it is just a saving problem, I’m suspecting there another (more fundamental) problem as well. I could only get things to work after changing to another email account (Gmail, with TLS)… I don’t have any definite solution yet.

Update for our environments as it might help others:

2x CentOS 7 VM’s each running an installation of SuiteCRM 7.8.3
Both servers are configured, patched and managed identically.

What we’re using for outbound SMTP is a 3rd party SMTP relay that we’re paying for (that we use Authentication to connect to and send with). With that in mind, we’re seeing the occasional “SMTP connect() failed.” error as well.

What I’ve discovered for our issue, is that for some reason, some way (haven’t ruled out users causing the issue) is the Password for the SMTP (and I suspect IMAP on inbound as well) is being modified or updated “somehow.” I have to manually re-enter the password for the accounts, and then test. Test succeeds, then I save the updated account information, and SMTP (and IMAP) resume operating again.

Again, I can’t rule out that it’s not funky text-box behavior, accidental user interaction, or some other issue. But I have seen that re-entering the password manually again does resolve that instance of the SMTP / IMAP error for us.

I’ve had to resort to using localhost as the smtp server and port 25 to send mail as this is the only way that seems to work

I think this is a bug, and a serious one and complicated one. I’d love to get to a point where we could report this on Github as an Issue, but it still seems too fuzzy…

Hello

I noticed that when you set up the settings like this (smtp : 465 and smtp protocol : SSL), it works.
Weird!!

1 Like

Version 7.10.5 newly: PHP 7.0
Got this agian : Note: To send record assignment notifications, an SMTP server must be configured in Email Settings.
When set - SMTP Mail Server choose Other – after that Save press and nothing saved, all clear … ??? help me!

Send test mail work perfect but doesn not save configured !!

That’s a known issue with 7.10.5, here’s a simple solution

https://suitecrm.com/suitecrm/forum/suitecrm-7-0-discussion/19163-email-sending-settings#66312

1 Like

Thanks @pgr for redirect me, very helpfull !